Thread: GFCI Issue

GFCI Issue

We have had a hot tub (guess they call them spas now) since around 2009 or 2010. I had to replace the GFCI breakers in 2011 do to a wire being slightly loose in the main panel - my error, found out later these cables take a set so need to be moved around a bit after installation and re-tightened a few times.

The sub-panel for the tub has two 240V GFCI breakers. A 30A for heater/pumps and 20A that is for lights and electronics.

Here is my strange problem (just started few days ago). Once in a while when you turn "OFF" a pump/jet or when a cleaning cycle ends the 30A GFCI trips. These go for around $100 so don't want to just buy one and find it's something else. It was tripping almost every time I turned off the small pump that performs the cleaning cycle. I opened the sub-panel which is outside and it had quite a few cobwebs and spider webs. I cleaned them out and no issues for two days. Now getting intermittent trips. Was think next step is to open the panel on the tub and blow it out - it has to have the same cobwebs and spider webs as the subpanel. (Heard it was possible for these webs to trick the GFCI.)

If I Google the issue seems everyone has issues when turning devices on not off like me. This makes me think it has something to do with the 30A GFCI breaker - the GFCI function of it.

Appreciate help troubleshooting this.

Thanks
    Mike

I’ve experienced many tripping issues with inductive loads fed from GFCI devices.

In some cases adding a small snubber capacitor (.47uF) in series with a 47 ohm 2 watt resistor has been helpful.

Regards, Rod

P.S. Sometimes running a non inductive load at the time you shut the inductive load off will prevent the trip, I do this with our statuary pump, turn it off before turning the landscape lighting off.

Was too busy yesterday to respond but I indeed found a leak! GFCI was doing it’s job.

Looks like a pump seal with intermittent leak but one time it was spraying. Now I need to wrestle that pump out of the tub to repaid it.

On my sisters swimming pool pump the bearings and seal went bad. We were able to buy the exact same pump unit. I just pulled the motor and impeller bearing side of the new pump. I did not have to touch the plumbing. If room is tight I recommend putting a short cord and twist lock plug on the new motor.
    Bill D