Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Visa Debit Card is your $1200, it's not a scam

We received our $1200 each via direct deposit. We receive our SS through direct deposit as well. I don't understand the $210.30 amount.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    LOL (You would think that the IRS would know that, not to mention know the checking account I pay what I owe EVERY year at tax time with)
    Oh, I'm sure they dutifully sub'd that job out to the lowest bidder (or highest briber) who put their very best minimum-wage temps on the job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Why is it worth only $210.30??
    Income thresholds. Honestly, it was a surprise as I didn't expect anything at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I received my stimulus via direct deposit over a month ago. My wife, who e-filed taxes last year but had to pay, has not received anything yet. Every time she tries to check online or submit her account information for direct deposit they system rejects her. She gets mad at me when I tell her she'll probably get a paper check sometime in September.

My understanding is that you will receive the entire $1200 if you make under $50K per year. Between $50K and $100k will receive some portion of the $1200, and folks with income over $100k will receive nothing.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    My understanding is that you will receive the entire $1200 if you make under $50K per year. Between $50K and $100k will receive some portion of the $1200, and folks with income over $100k will receive nothing.
    David
    That's for individuals relative to the numbers. There is a similar progression for married filing jointly, but the limits are correspondingly higher for the phase out.
    --

Ours was directly deposited in our bank account. The only issue is that that bank didn't release the funds for days. I got a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I heard this on the TV news a week or so back. When you file your taxes and have IRS deduct your tax payment you do not give them permission to deposit funds to your account only transfer payment of taxes out. .

I just got my money from the Treasury today and it was a check, not a debit card. The check will be in the bank today. I paid my taxes via my bank account so the IRS couldn't do direct deposit. The system to add my bank account number to get a direct deposit kept giving me the not eligible error so I never could add my bank account number.

I was not expecting my check for weeks yet.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 05-26-2020 at 4:29 PM.

We got a paper check last week, even though we both are drawing SSI wasn't expecting it until July.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    ...I'm peeved that it comes with a full set of fees for almost everything you might want to do....
    Now that I've activated the card and read all the legalese and associated stuff, I have to say that the fees seem reasonable. There are no fees for purchases at any merchant that lets you use a Visa cebit card with a PIN and no fees for ATM withdrawals from in-network ATM's, which you can find on-line or with an app. There are a reasonable number near us. No fee to transfer to my bank account.

I'm still kinda bothered by the whole idea. As has been suggested, what happens to unspent balances? And how many people would not realize what it is and toss it or fail to activate it? I would have liked to know I was getting a card and not a check, just to avoid the confusion. But i'm not going to send it back.

There is no fee to transfer the entire contents to your checking account...so why keep the money on that debit card? I took care of that as soon as I activated my card and it had a zero balance a few moments later.
    --