Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Visa Debit Card is your $1200, it's not a scam

That Visa Debit Card is your $1200, it's not a scam

I'm used to cleverly-constructed scams showing up in the mail and I was ready to toss this one from Money Network Cardholder Services until I read "Authorized by the US Treasury". If it was a scam, it would be a bold one. Turns out the gov't is sending Stimulus payments by debit card to several million people they don't have direct deposit informaion for. It's legitimate. Don't toss that card.

I'm peeved that it comes with a full set of fees for almost everything you might want to do, but I believe we can move the money to an account and be done with it. Google "stimulus debit card" for more details.

Yes, that's correct. I found that out yesterday when I got one in the mail...although in the end it was only worth a whopping $210.30. It also had me with Professor Dr. SWMBO's last name instead of my own. LOL (You would think that the IRS would know that, not to mention know the checking account I pay what I owe EVERY year at tax time with) Here's a link to the CFPB note on the same...don't throw out that card. It will cost you to get it replaced!

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/abou...aid-card/#scam
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah, some company sent me a refund as a gift card -- that is a pre-loaded debit card. It too had all sorts of fees and gimmicks intended to make money for the card issuer. I dug around in the fine print that came with the card, and found a phone number to call to get the issuer to send me a check. They eventually did. But it took work on my part just to get the money the original company owned me. Makes me grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I'm used to cleverly-constructed scams showing up in the mail and I was ready to toss this one from Money Network Cardholder Services until I read "Authorized by the US Treasury". If it was a scam, it would be a bold one. Turns out the gov't is sending Stimulus payments by debit card to several million people they don't have direct deposit informaion for. It's legitimate. Don't toss that card.

I'm peeved that it comes with a full set of fees for almost everything you might want to do, but I believe we can move the money to an account and be done with it. Google "stimulus debit card" for more details.
    THis appears to be aimed squarely at Blue State retirees who were initially shafted by the removal of the SALT exemptions. But it apparently goes much further than that. Who knew.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 05-23-2020 at 8:28 PM. Reason: Touch screens suck

Got a letter this week telling us, ours would come as a debit card. Only problem is two weeks ago, we deposited the check. We will wait and see. Week before last was at post office, when a customer was mailing IRS a scathing letter. Seem the direct deposited her money in someone else's account. People who got Refund anticipation loans found their money to be deposited into who made them the loan's account

The gov't has zero direct deposit info for us. I've never e-filed anything. Biz and personal returns, estimated, state returns, all done on and paid for with paper...

Thankfully, our paper check arrived yesterday instead of a plastic card...

I've never liked pre-loaded cards. So question [Think Richard Pryor in Superman 3], who gets the unspent money on the cards?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    We got our stimulus paper check yesterday $2,400. Not sure why it wasn't direct deposited. Like a lot of other people, we really didn't need it to survive. It will just go to pay down the credit card bill. Not stimulating anyone other than the bank. Not happy adding three trillion to the national debt when it could have been half that to help just the folks that really needed it.
    NOW you tell me...

I heard this on the TV news a week or so back. When you file your taxes and have IRS deduct your tax payment you do not give them permission to deposit funds to your account only transfer payment of taxes out. .
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Got mine in the mail. So did all my friends and family. Don't know anyone who received direct deposit. But it all spends the same! Help stimulate the economy.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I heard this on the TV news a week or so back. When you file your taxes and have IRS deduct your tax payment you do not give them permission to deposit funds to your account only transfer payment of taxes out. .
    Even so, I'm receiving SSI so the government direct deposits to to my personal checking account monthly and my spouse's name is also on the account. (and mine is on her's, too). But in the end, no matter. Within a half hour of receiving my "stimulus debit card" for the whopping $210.30 it was worth, the money was transfered to my bank account and the card put away in a dark place. BTW, for folks who receive them, be sure you uncheck all the marketing boxes so that the originating bank (presumably) will not inundate you with offers to add money to the debit card later, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ... Like a lot of other people, we really didn't need it to survive. ... Not stimulating anyone other than the bank. Not happy adding three trillion to the national debt when it could have been half that to help just the folks that really needed it.
    Same here. But I did find a use for mine to stimulate the economy - I hired a college student when her summer job fell through because of the recession. This way I get the part-time farm help and she will use the money when school starts in August.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    My wife and I both get SS direct deposit. I also get VA disability direct deposit. Just received our check via Postal Service yesterday. Guess they don't talk to each other.

People got money?

Hmmmmm

I'm one of the many thousands whose deceased parent got a check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    But in the end, no matter. Within a half hour of receiving my "stimulus debit card" for the whopping $210.30 it was worth.
    Why is it worth only $210.30??
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.