Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dw735

Blog Entries
    The good thing about a noisy 735 is that it's mostly higher frequency noise, which is easier to block than the lower frequency noise.

I bought my 735 about 5 years ago. I had heard it was loud, but loud is not a strong-enough word. It absolutely screams...extremely loud. Recommend wearing both the small foam earplugs plus ear muffs when using it. They do work great, though. I now have a combo jointer-planer machine with insert cutting head and induction motor. In comparison to the DeWalt, I can barely tell it's running.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    I bought my 735 about 5 years ago. I had heard it was loud, but loud is not a strong-enough word. It absolutely screams...extremely loud. Recommend wearing both the small foam earplugs plus ear muffs when using it. They do work great, though. I now have a combo jointer-planer machine with insert cutting head and induction motor. In comparison to the DeWalt, I can barely tell it's running.
    For the OP, to get mine to do that I would need to take the maximum depth of cut; maybe about 1/8". I would rarely do that. I've found the planer really isn't designed to do that regularly. I don't believe that any table top planers comparable to the 735 are designed to regularly take that much of a bite. A 1/16" or less cut is much better with these planers and the noise is less.

Mines a little older than that. I would guess it’s had a few hundred board feet of hard wood and at least as much pine and dimensional lumber ran through it. I don’t notice any change in performance. I’ve changed the knives a couple of times. It has been a real workhorse for me.

Blog Entries
    I too use orange ear plugs in my ear and ear muffs on top. It’s unbearably loud. Does removing the blower really quiet it down much? Is there a consensus on this? A Byrd cutterhead is out of the question for me. I’d much rather find a used real planer (non lunchbox) than spend that much on a cutterhead. Although it’s proving hard to find anything around here.