Thread: Drill Press rehab results

Drill Press rehab results

My chuck went out on my drill press a few weeks ago. Rockwell early 70's 15-069. I had been frustrated with the DP ever since I bought it an auction a bit over a year ago. I actually placed an order for a Powermatic before deciding to try rehabbing it and cancelled the Powermatic order.

Complete dissassembly, rust removal, wiring replacement, replaced most of the fasteners, re-blued the steel bits, and sent of the spindle for resurfacing the taper and bearing replacement. I did not paint the motor since I lack a bearing puller (and if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right).

Gary at Hammerscale Techologies exceeded my expectations for the spindle and bearing work. After re-installing the spindle, my runout measurement shows well under .0005" at the taper. After getting it back, it looks nearly new despite heavy damage (in my opinion) before I sent it off.

Before, during, & after pics. I'm really pleased with the results, and my wallet thanks me for not going for the new & shiny.

1.jpg

2 - Copy.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Last edited by Bryce Walter; 05-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.

I have that same DP that I bought used and rehabbed about 4 years ago. Totally glad I have it, works flawlessly. Was kind of a tough one to rehab though. Randy

Randy - have you found a quill spring replacement that works well? That's the one thing that I'm not quite satisfied with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Walter View Post
    My chuck went out on my drill press a few weeks ago. Rockwell early 70's 15-069. I had been frustrated with the DP ever since I bought it an auction a bit over a year ago. I actually placed an order for a Powermatic before deciding to try rehabbing it and cancelled the Powermatic order
    What was the approximate cost for the spindle work? (and how did you find someone to do this -- I wouldn't have known where to start)

There is something really pleasing about a well-running vintage machine that is missing in modern steel & aluminum equipment.

Matt

Matt - It was $100 for re-surfacing the spindle taper and lower bearing service. Another ~$60 for replacing the upper bearing in the pulley. Plus 2-way shipping.

I happened to stumble across his site when I was looking to source some replacement parts.

Very nice work.
    The older presses were very well made, you will be very happy with the time spent.

I have a Buffalo 15 and I used one of these springs to replace the return spring in mine.
    https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a12060.../dp/B00A764SUK
    It’s been working perfectly for a few years now. There are a lot of different widths of these springs. Not sure about the Rockwell, if you have the old one it would be best to measure before ordering.
    Last edited by Mike Delyster; 05-24-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Bryce, when you figure out what spring you need, would you please post the results. I also have about that same model drill press.

People replace the spring with a gas strut or a counter weight and cable.
    Bil lD

I did the counter weight and cable connected to the table on a couple of presses. Works very well.

Never tried using it in place of a return spring. Should work though.
    Last edited by Mike Delyster; 05-25-2020 at 1:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    People replace the spring with a gas strut or a counter weight and cable.
    Bil lD
    Bill,
    Your confusing the quill return spring with a counterweight/cable system for the table. The quill return spring determines how much force is needed (with your hand/arm) to lower the quill/drill chuck into the work piece. The counterweight/cable system acts to balance the weight of the drill press table so the table doesn't simply drop to the floor when you release the table lock (locks table to column).
    David