Thread: Sideways photos - redux (Android)

Sideways photos - redux (Android)

I've read through the sticky on sideways photos. My sense is that while the issue might be fixed for iPhones, it is a challenge for a subset of other users.

I'm on an Android (Pixel 3, v10). I took photos with the phone up (portrait orientation). I go to post photos here and "up" is to the left. I edited the photo on my desktop and rotated clockwise so that "up" is to the right on my desktop and re-post. "Up" is still to the left in the forums.

Do I need to strip Exif information from the photos, or what is the solution? (I'm not switching to an iPhone)

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    What program are you using to edit the photo? I have a samsung android phone and edit my photos for orientation with Windows live Photo gallery or Adobe Photoshop Elements with no problems correcting orientation. I've also tried windows Photos and it rotates and upload photos correctly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    iPhone here and like Lee when I do use the phone for snapshots I send them to my desktop and edit them with just about any photo editor, save a copy and the rotation data works 90% of the time. A software upgrade has been overdue here for years but, sometimes better the road that you know the potholes on than a new one that you don't.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Lee - I'm using Windows Photos. Odd that we are having different experiences with it. I haven't ruled out user error, but man.... this is frustrating.

Ok - it appears that good old MS Paint does the trick for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Walter View Post
    Ok - it appears that good old MS Paint does the trick for me.
    I'm glad you found a solution. Don't forget , in Advanced mode, you can preview the post including photos before it is actually posted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    What program are you using to edit the photo? I have a samsung android phone and edit my photos for orientation with Windows live Photo gallery or Adobe Photoshop Elements with no problems correcting orientation. I've also tried windows Photos and it rotates and upload photos correctly.
    Same situation here. These days I use Photoshop Elements, crop, correct, and rotate if needed (usually never needed except when fixing someone else's photo), then use the Save for Web option. This sizes, compresses for web, and saves as a foolproof JPG file with very few clicks.

BTW, one forum I visit has a max image file size of 100K and Save for Web makes this trivial, regardless of the pixel dimensions of the photo.

JKJ