Thread: Sandpaper

Sandpaper

I have a Bosch 6 inch random orbit sander.i have been using Mirka sandpaper longevity to me is short.which brand do others use with good results.thanks jim.

I use Abranet disks on my 6" Bosch. It's definitely worth a try.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    As I use a full spectrum of grits, Ive been buying Klingspor 50 packs. I feel it gives good service for the price

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    As I use a full spectrum of grits, Ive been buying Klingspor 50 packs. I feel it gives good service for the price
    I agree that in general Klingspor sells good stuff at a decent price. Not sure it is generally better than Mirka which I consider a fairly premium brand. I always found in my usage either held up well unless used on something that caused it to clog like going back over work that already had some finish to hit places where I missed sanding out scratches or on old work that had old finish on it.

Blog Entries
    Another Klingspor or Industrial Abrasives user here with good results and lifetime. Mirka should be giving you good service. The fact that it is not makes me want to look into the reasons before you go buy another premium abrasive. Is the Mirka old? In what way is it failing; grit coming off, clogging, tearing? My point being that if Mirka is not meeting your expectations, another brand of the same type of abrasive at the same quality tier may not either.

Mirka makes an array of abrasives. Which particular product are you using? Maybe there is an application mismatch that we can resolve before you order. The abrasive type, bond and backing can all contribute to a product's suitability to a use. I have an array of abrasives that come into play for pretty specific reasons. If you can describe your use case you will probably get more specific recommendations / experiences.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Are you using dust extraction?

Mirka q silver 100-120-150 .using it on fresh planed oak the Bosch has dust extraction on a shop vac that I clean the filter regularly.maybe I’m expecting too much longevity ?

Mirka q silver 100-120-150 .using it on fresh planed oak the Bosch has dust extraction on a shop vac that I clean the filter regularly.maybe I’m expecting too much longevity ? The paper clogs to quickly to me.not tearing at all.

9. One other thing and probably a long shot... Do you take care to align the holes in the disks carefully with those in the pad? Poor alignment would contribute to poor airflow and clogging.

I'm surprised you have clogging when sanding freshly milled oak with dust collection. I only get clogging when sanding resinous or dirty woods or finishes. That said, if clogging is your problem try Abranet as its open structure is least likely to load up. I keep it in stock at 320# and up for sanding finishes.

It's hard to quantify relative longevity of brands unless comparing them directly head to head. I find Klingspor a good value, comparable in performance to 3M and Mirka.

I use Powertec discs and Norton sheets. Seem to work pretty good.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I'm not sure how Klingspor sandpaper is, but I do know that their industrial abrasives are a far cry from the quality and longevity of 3M. I have used 3M abrasives since I was 18. When I switched jobs back in 2011, my new company used Kilngspor sanding disc and sanding belts for handheld air-files. I told the then plant manager that the stuff they stocked "sucked!" We now carry 3M products as they last much longer. Labor costs more than materials, it was a pretty easy sale.

I bought some close out discs from Klingspor, and they are good, but their new discs are much better. The newer ones I have are blue colored, the old ones were a orange color. Price was right on the close out discs, I bought multiple boxes for a bigger discount, and still have quite a few.

Miriam abranet

Going to try some Mirka abranet Lee valley seemed to have a good price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I bought some close out discs from Klingspor, and they are good, but their new discs are much better. The newer ones I have are blue colored, the old ones were a orange color. Price was right on the close out discs, I bought multiple boxes for a bigger discount, and still have quite a few.
    Klingspor has many different types of abrasive discs & there are probably 10 different colors. Before buying them it's a good idea to refer to Kingspor's website to be sure of the type you need.