Thread: Parfix 3408

Parfix 3408

I just watched an old video of Mark Sillay using Parsons Parfix 3408 to finish a bottle stopper. I’ve only tried regular CA finishes a couple times and didn’t love the process or the fumes so the Parfix looked intriguing.

Not a lot of posts about it on SMC but I’d like to get thoughts on it and also wondered where to buy it from.
    thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I just watched an old video of Mark Sillay using Parsons Parfix 3408 to finish a bottle stopper. I’ve only tried regular CA finishes a couple times and didn’t love the process or the fumes so the Parfix looked intriguing.

Not a lot of posts about it on SMC but I’d like to get thoughts on it and also wondered where to buy it from.
    thanks,
    Tom
    That CA is wonderful stuff. Not only does it not have the fumes of normal CA but the time to set up is longer. In 2017 I wanted a couple of bottles for me but couldn't find a reliable source at a reasonable price. I called one dealer but the stuff has a limited shelf life and he couldn't tell me how long his stock had been sitting around. I called another so-called dealer but they had no stock and said didn't plan on getting some anytime soon since he had to buy it by the case and he couldn't move it very quickly.

I found many others in our turning club who also wanted some so I ordered three cases (36 8-oz bottles) directly from Parsons Adhesives. This is the contact info I had, perhaps it is still good:

BJ Mehta, Technical Sales Associate
    Parson Adhesives Inc, 3345, Auburn Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48309
    Web: www.parsonadhesives.com
    Email: bj@parsonadhesives.com
    Office Tel : 1-248-299-5585 X106

The problem is they only sold it by the case. At $28 per bottle I fronted over $1000; sold every bottle at cost to club menbers.

People, in general, really liked the finish and it's easy to use. Since then, some have asked if I planned to order more but I don't have the time to deal with it now.

I heard that Mark Silay carries it. Perhaps you could buy a single bottle from him. When he came to our club he said he sells it but didn't bring any. Maybe call him and ask.

I suggested that Parsons try to make it more available to woodturners, perhaps by selling single bottles through a dealer at woodturning symposiums but I don't know if that ever happened. Perhaps you can call Parsons and talk to Mr Mehta or someone in the main office. If you can't find it for sale, perhaps you could order a bunch from Parsons and become a dealer!

JKJ

I purchased a bottle from Mark Silay about 6 months ago. He is good to work with.

Thanks for the info John and Ron. I checked out Mark's website but didn't see anywhere to order. Maybe I'll contact him and see if he'll ship.

Tom