Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Species for Hand Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Jim, Mike, and Frank,

It wasn't wise to trade wits with Churchill, because he was "world class" quick witted.

My favorite Churchill quote, and I don't know the circumstance but do know that there is some dispute about the exact wording, happened when Churchill was apparently at a large party with many politicians present. Some were political opponents, and Churchill had way to much to drink. One of the female opponents who apparently had a well known intense dislike for Churchill intentionally spoke very loudly so that all could hear "Churchill you're drunk!" His famous reply was "yes, and you, madam, are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober."

Another was apparently after a political argument with the same woman. She said "Churchill, if you were my husband, I would put poison in your coffee." His famous reply was "If you were my wife, I would drink it."

Regards,

Stew
    That would be Lady Astor - In my view an extremely unlikable person
    Regards,

Kris

I had heard the second story but not the first. Good stuff.
    Regards,

Kris

Thanks Warren for getting this thread back on track.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Any suggestions for species of wood to make a new handle for a western hand saw?
    It seem the only thing left out of this thread is the specifics of the saw needing a handle.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Chenoweth View Post
    Hi Warren,

I've read several times that apple trees in the 19th century were typically much larger than the grafted trees we have today. Therefore, there was usable lumber in those trees, which is why it was used for saw handles, etc. Do you know if that's fact or just a tall tale? It kinda makes sense to me, but my knowledge of the history of trees is somewhat lacking. I have seen some pretty large wild apple trees in the woods, though.
    Smaller, younger apple trees bear more fruit in a given area than large, mature trees. They are also much easier to maintain, treat for pests, and harvest. I didn't realize this until I bought a house with a small orchard and learned it first hand. I have some trees about 10 inches in diameter that I will probably turn into lumber when they eventually come down. In general though, the things that make for a good fruit tree make for a bad lumber tree, particularly the short trunk.