Thread: Grizzly wood lathe copy attachment

Grizzly wood lathe copy attachment

Anyone know if that attachment will work on the Sears Craftsman wood Lathe ? I got the 15 inch Wood Lathe with the 38 inch between centers model . It was the last big wood lathe Sears Craftsman sold.

Clarence, I don't have any first hand knowledge, but the Griz copy adapter works with at least 4 of their lathes ranging from around 11" swing to 18" swing. The only potential issue is that you may need to make some sort of shim (e.g., a particular thickness board, chunk of plastic or metal) to raise the attachment in order to get the cutter exactly on the center line for your particular lathe. But I don't think that it would be all that hard to do (w/o knowing your particular skill level).

If you are handy, you could also consider making your own copy/duplicator attachment. There are some pictures and plans on the internet to give you some ideas. There are also some Youtube videos on making and using a duplicator attachment.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 05-24-2020 at 4:27 PM.

I can't speak to the Grizzly duplicator, but I have a Vega duplicator. When I bought it I had a 12" Delta lathe and later upgraded to a Jet 16" lathe. I did need to get different mounts to align the cutter to the centerline of the lathe but once that was done it worked just fine. This adjusted alignment in 2 directions.
    Don't forget, you have to adjust on 2 axis, vertically and horizontally. Assuming you want to turn the maximum diameter, you need to adjust both ways. If you only adjust vertically, it will only work the same diameters as the original mounts.
    Last edited by Paul Haus; 05-27-2020 at 8:58 PM.