Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a used OMGA miter saw. Questions on setup.

I bought a used OMGA miter saw. Questions on setup.

I bought a used Omga T53-370 miter saw recently. The owner thought it was a T50, but it isn't. Also, it came with a single phase motor (we have 3 phase so either is fine). OMGA told me the biggest difference is that the single phase takes longer to spin up to speed.
    image0.jpeg

It weighs 250# plus so it's staying in the crate until the resting spot is prepped. Here is where it's going.
    61184756932__0CD13F7A-6027-41EA-A734-2ADBE8DCEEA7.jpg

I'm looking to add a manually positioned digital stop system to the right and a slave fence to the left. So far, I found offerings from JADawley GlideStop, Accurate Technology ProStop, and Maya Posi-Stop. TigerStop and RazorGage are automated and out of consideration. Any thoughts on these or others?

The bench top is neither flat nor level. We can certainly spend the effort to do so if warranted. I think I may prefer removable extensions to use the bench for other things. Would it make more sense to put in elevated extensions with fence using levelers?

Has anyone used the vertical and horizontal clamps? How are they controlled?

Any other tips or things I should link at?

read the manual, I have no idea. Look like they make their eown digital stop the "omga stop"
    Bill D.

https://www.omgainc.com/service-support

That is a very nice saw. The single phase units do take forever to spool up. There is a hack you can do on the switch to make it toggle on and off as opposed to on when depressed, well worth figuring out.

The Omga stop is another automated stop system I don't want. I should have mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    read the manual, I have no idea. Look like they make their eown digital stop the "omga stop"
    Bill D.

https://www.omgainc.com/service-support

Blog Entries
    I have the JA Dawley setup, it’s really treated me well. No complaints,

Enjoy the saw!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like the looks of the JA Dawley. How does it connect to the saw? I see that both Omga and JA Dawley sell a mounting bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I have the JA Dawley setup, it’s really treated me well. No complaints,

Enjoy the saw!

Sweet. They really make construction type miter saws feel totally inadequate.

This is one of the best miter saws ever produced. A substantial step up from even the Kapex in terms of accuracy. We personally run upcut saws at my work, (and are looking to buy one or two more if anyone knows of any for sale) but these Omga’s are just as accurate as an upcut saw.

I can personally recommend the Saw Gear from Tiger Stop. It is to my knowledge the most affordable unit out there. I know the one we are getting is under $4,000 for an 8ft Saw Gear digital stop block system and that includes the stand and fence that it rides on. I know that a Tiger Stop can be over $12,000 for a complete system with a fence and stand. We also use a miter saw from time to time and have an older Whirl Wind that uses the Fast Cap bench mount best fence and stop system that is great as well.

I just sent in a request for quote for the SawGear from TigerStop and the Windows ST from RazorGage. I thought it'd be useful to see what the next step up brings to the table and what the cost would be.

Still stumped on whether to use the bench tops for the extensions or to add extensions above the bench tops using some type of levelers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I like the looks of the JA Dawley. How does it connect to the saw? I see that both Omga and JA Dawley sell a mounting bracket.
    Mine doesn’t connect to the saw, I have the saw bolted to the stand which is bolted to the floor and the fence is on a stand also bolted to the floor. Wouldn’t hurt to connect them both but I haven’t found it necessary.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I’ve had the JA Daley fence for 20 years and think it’s good for a manual fence. It started out on a upcut saw and now on the Graule radial. In both cases the fence is mounted to fixed outfeed tables. Totally possible to mount to a saw I’m sure. When we first setup the fence the tape scale was off and and kept increasing in length by about 1/16” per foot. That was a puzzle for a while! The company was quick to correct that.

22EBAF10-9D0A-4569-94E1-79F6A3292645.jpg
    E62DB7D0-DEA8-4AE5-923A-FF34EEA55702.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    I just sent in a request for quote for the SawGear from TigerStop and the Windows ST from RazorGage. I thought it'd be useful to see what the next step up brings to the table and what the cost would be.

Still stumped on whether to use the bench tops for the extensions or to add extensions above the bench tops using some type of levelers.
    I know that the 8ft Saw Gear runs $3,450 and their stand with fence is $950. What ever you go with, I would suggest using their stand and fence system. It will probably cost you an extra $1,000 to $1,500 at most but it would be worth it for the ultimate precision. We have a Saw Gear on one upcut saw and use their stand and fence. We are looking to buy another used upcut saw and will build a bench type stand using the Fast Cap Best Fence and stop block system. No need for two digital setups in our shop although if we came across a good deal on a used one it would be hard to pass up. I personally prefer using upcut saws versus these high end industrial miter saws. We are currently looking for another upcut saw.

Joe, I remember seeing the Graule in your shop, but completely skipped over the JA Dawley fence. I had no idea they've been around so long. I'm convinced now that as long as the saw and fence are both anchored solidly, there isn't a real need to anchor them to each other as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I’ve had the JA Daley fence for 20 years and think it’s good for a manual fence. It started out on a upcut saw and now on the Graule radial. In both cases the fence is mounted to fixed outfeed tables. Totally possible to mount to a saw I’m sure. When we first setup the fence the tape scale was off and and kept increasing in length by about 1/16” per foot. That was a puzzle for a while! The company was quick to correct that.

22EBAF10-9D0A-4569-94E1-79F6A3292645.jpg
    E62DB7D0-DEA8-4AE5-923A-FF34EEA55702.jpg

After pricing out some automated stops, I want to stay in the manual adjusted, digital read-out group of positioners. As far as I know, this is a group of 2; GlideStop from JA Dawley and ProStop from Accurate Technology. The third player, Maya, doesn't have a digital read-out.

I like the GlideStop because it has more accessories and uses a Siko gage (of which we have an extra one), but there isn't a micro-adjust on the stop. I like that the ProStop has the micro-adjust stop and the extrusion has tracks on all four sides which means it may be easier to re-purpose down the road.

Our Martin slider fence has a stop that manually adjusts and digitally reads position and the micro-adjust makes it trivial to hit the target number exactly. For those that use a GlideStop, or other manual adjust, digital measure set-up, how hard is it to hit you target number exactly without a micro-adjust stop?

To close this thread out, I ended up ordering a ProStop from Accurate Technologies. They have a sale going on right now that brought the price in line with the JA Dawley GlideStop. The biggest factor for me was the lack of a micro-adjust on the JA Dawley stop. I'll post pics once its installed.