Thread: Router Raizer

Router Raizer

My first attempts at setting up a dedicated router table are not going so good. I purchased things long ago... and took a number of years before setting up. I got a deal on a 3HP Fein plunge router.. and opted for the cheaper alternative of a Router Raizer rather than going all in and spending the big bucks. Well.... fast forward to today, I finally set it up maybe 6 months ago.. and have had a few opportunities to use it so far. When it works, it works well enough for my needs. However, I have had at least 3 times now where the whole thing falls down. It seems I can use it for maybe 5 or 6 times (changing bits) making adjustments... and then at some point, bam it falls down. I try to tighten the spindle lock (set screw and thumb screw)... but I can never get it to stay. AFAIK, I believe it set it up correctly, but don't know why it keeps working itself free.

As for their website.. it looks old as can be with no email tech support. The phone number support seems more for distributors... and my online searching does not come up with much. I am looking for some advise on how to fix this thing..or should I just throw in the towel and buy a Jessum Prestige for it (it doesn't say it fits the Fein). That is more than I wanted to spend.. but am getting tired of picking it off the floor and putting it back together. At some point, it is going to break itself beyond repair with these 3 ft drops onto concrete.

thanks in advance...

Jeff

Blog Entries
    I had a Router Raizer for a long time on a DeWalt 625. It worked fine but it was a hassle to reach under the table to lock the router depth.

I wanted an upgrade so my wife got me a Jessem with one of their Milwaukee routers with the external switch and speed control. She also got me a cast iron table and the Jessem fence and their Mastr-Slide. With all that router bling, I pitched the Router Raizer and now I have a beast of a plunge router. I don’t use it much unless I’m going to use a big bit and want the mass.

I’ve had mine for a few years now without any issues. Has worked awesome and I’m glad i saved $400 or whatever it would cost for a router lift.

Double/triple check your setup. Guessing something is off.

I’ve had a RR mounted to a PC7529 for many years, it’s never fallen off. Are you sure you have it installed correctly?

Does yours look like this? Note the thumb screw locknut and locking spring clip. They keep it from screwing all the way off and separating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I also have one on a Dewalt 625. For short run work I don't have to lock anything to hold the depth setting. I'm guessing I've had it for over 10 years.

I don't have a router raizer (or a router table at all, actually)...

But in the interim, and until you get it sorted out, maybe throw a piece of styrofoam insulation or a pillow or something underneath it? Might keep a frustrating situation from developing into a devastating one?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I’ve had mine for a few years now without any issues. Has worked awesome and I’m glad i saved $400 or whatever it would cost for a router lift.

Double/triple check your setup. Guessing something is off.
    That would be my guess as well. I have a very similar setup to Jeff's, Freud FT2000E with router raizer. Mine has enough 'drag' or resistance on the screw that I've never used the router lock. I suppose if I were doing a long run it'd be wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Caskey View Post
    My first attempts at setting up a dedicated router table are not going so good. I purchased things long ago... and took a number of years before setting up. I got a deal on a 3HP Fein plunge router.. and opted for the cheaper alternative of a Router Raizer rather than going all in and spending the big bucks. Well.... fast forward to today, I finally set it up maybe 6 months ago.. and have had a few opportunities to use it so far. When it works, it works well enough for my needs. However, I have had at least 3 times now where the whole thing falls down. It seems I can use it for maybe 5 or 6 times (changing bits) making adjustments... and then at some point, bam it falls down. I try to tighten the spindle lock (set screw and thumb screw)... but I can never get it to stay. AFAIK, I believe it set it up correctly, but don't know why it keeps working itself free.

As for their website.. it looks old as can be with no email tech support. The phone number support seems more for distributors... and my online searching does not come up with much. I am looking for some advise on how to fix this thing..or should I just throw in the towel and buy a Jessum Prestige for it (it doesn't say it fits the Fein). That is more than I wanted to spend.. but am getting tired of picking it off the floor and putting it back together. At some point, it is going to break itself beyond repair with these 3 ft drops onto concrete.

thanks in advance...

Jeff
    Jeff, I did not splurge on more than the RR since I do not use a router table much. I have not since been tempted as I find the RR works well and does everything I need. If yours is not performing as per the website, then it is not set up corrrectly.

I use an Elu 177e, which is the forerunner of the Dewalt 625 ...

Here is the top side, with access from above courtesy of a Muscle Chuck ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

In case you don't have the manual any longer. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/98...zer-Rz100.html

Here are some pics of my setup. Image 1 is during re-assembly. The last few being with it fully raised (at least until I feel resistance).

It seems to me I need a longer main shaft than the provided ~12" and if I raise it too far, it pushes the thumb screw lock and end stop off the shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    That would be my guess as well. I have a very similar setup to Jeff's, Freud FT2000E with router raizer. Mine has enough 'drag' or resistance on the screw that I've never used the router lock. I suppose if I were doing a long run it'd be wise.
    I’m not sure why Fein came to mind...but mine is one in the same..Freud FT2000E

Are you sure that the router you are using it on is compatible with the Router Raizer? Before replacing my router table, I used the Raizer on an old Makita plunge router for many years with no problems except inconvenience. Maybe a part is missing? I found the Raizer was a bit complex to install with my router and I spent quite a bit of time installing it. It did work though without the problem you are having.

It is on the approved list. Yes, could certainly have missed something in the install...but I don’t know what without a complete disassembly. Everything works perfectly for a while until the two stops get pushed off. It seems to me of the shaft were longer (and you could raise/lower the full cycle) it wouldn’t ever hit that condition.
    Last edited by Jeff Caskey; 05-25-2020 at 7:41 PM.

I need to go back to look at mine - gave up over 10 y ago on a DeWalt 625. It was operable but not easily fitted to the router with several modifications required. Thanks for the encouraging thoughts in this post.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!