Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Saw advice

I left it alone. The teeth were evenly done so I followed Mike Allen's advice and proceeded to sharpen it. Jointed it.checked teeth. Bought a new caliper for measuring set, jointed again, sharpened teeth (I also got the veritas guide), quick joint, then touch up sharpen, then a stone down the side to get rid of burr.

Climbed on top of bench and rip cut length of 3/4 board amazingly fast.

I cant believe how easily I rip cut through a 2 foot x 3/4 board. I cant wait to get my hands on more hand
    saws! Faster than jig saw and much quieter than a jig or circular saw. Wife was asleep in the other room, didnt wake her up.

But to cut through my practice piece I cut from above it so I had to clamp off of bench and I climbed on top lol. Running a jig saw or circular saw is easy enough but the stroke for a hand saw makes cutting off of bench a little hard....

So I need a saw horse or a saw bench. I'm not really sure which is better. Saw bench seems short for a long saw but a saw horse is a little high for same reason as off the bench. I'm thinking maybe of making a couple saw horses that go just above my knee. Should be plenty of height for a full size saw. But I like the width of a saw bench and how some people clamp the work to it.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I made a saw bench, which is really nice for breaking down stock, storing parts while you are working at the bench, using as a step stool, and as a place to sit. But wait, there’s more! I also really like being able to take it out to my driveway if I’m working on my car or my bicycle, then I have a portable workbench to set my tools out on to keep them organized. For height, about knee-high is good. Fine woodworking had an article on-line that I used for the basic idea and general dimensions. I’m really glad I made mine.

E65271BC-B1FA-49C0-90FB-767500350E78.jpg

I like the idea of being able to pick it up and use it around the house. On my practice cut the last two inches split and the piece fell off.

How can I support the pieces or keep this from happening on good pieces?

This led me to search different ideas and I came across a slip top saw bench. Any of you guys have experience with this type?

Ben I did some searching and I think I found that article. It specifically mentioned to try to not adjust the height. The article said that the height is good for a handsaw as long as you saw at the proper angle. I was imagining hitting the ground but that would require an awkward saw stroke.

Yeah, when I saw at a natural angle I’m fine. I can tap the ground with the saw tip if I intentionally saw almost vertically, but it isn’t a natural position.

when I do a long rip I flip the piece around and cut the last couple inches from the other direction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    Ben I did some searching and I think I found that article. It specifically mentioned to try to not adjust the height. The article said that the height is good for a handsaw as long as you saw at the proper angle. I was imagining hitting the ground but that would require an awkward saw stroke.
    Here is a build post on one of my saw benches > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146777

There are others who have posted on theirs. One member built one with a slot down the center for ripping. One of mine has a bird's mouth cut in one end. Used with a second saw horse it is fairly quick and easy to rip a board.

Here is an old post of mine ripping a 10' piece of ash > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167535

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    [quote=ben ellenberger;3027688]i made a saw bench, which is really nice for breaking down stock, storing parts while you are working at the bench, using as a step stool, and as a place to sit. But wait, there’s more! I also really like being able to take it out to my driveway if i’m working on my car or my bicycle, then i have a portable workbench to set my tools out on to keep them organized. For height, about knee-high is good. Fine woodworking had an article on-line that i used for the basic idea and general dimensions. I’m really glad i made mine.

+1 to ben's comments about the advantages of a saw bench. Saw bench is the most used tool in my shop. Personally i prefer a little larger/heavier for stability. Mine is about 40 "long, 24" wide made from the borg doug fir – 2 x 8's for the work surface and 4 x 4's for the legs. I like leaving a gap in the middle to support long rip cuts. A flip up bench stop along with small diameter holdfast is great for workholding. I find top of the knee is ideal height – allows you get your upper body over the work piece, but no risk of saw to hitting the ground.

Best, mike

7.jpg7.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to make an ugly one with some scraps I have and see how I like it. I can see this being a fun project later on when I work out what I like.

Ben, do you use the birdsmouth section in any special way?

I agree with Mike, a heavier saw bench is nice...even if a little less portable. I found these basic plans for a split top and have been using it for a number of years. Versus the plans, a little longer would be nice (as in Mike’s 40”), and I have since added a few dog holes. I did also widen the split to accommodate clamps.

395D52B9-4EE3-4738-A406-AC3A0B2FB534.png F3DBE79B-470C-4981-9E13-BA9D78597706.jpg AABF9708-97D9-47AE-8F6E-21AE85DB6FCB.jpg

Making an “ugly one” initially is not a bad way to go. Let’s you get a feel for height and work holding, etc. You might even find that it does the job just fine and no need to fuss over any thing else.

In addition to all the uses already mentioned, I also use it as a “bench on bench”, clamping it to the top of my bench to hold detail work higher up.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 06-09-2020 at 6:52 AM.

That’s where I rip. I think it would work ok without the birds mouth, but it is nice to have more support as you cut. I find I can use my thumb as a guide and wrap my hand around to grab the edge of the birds mouth to keep the piece secure when I’m starting cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    But to cut through my practice piece I cut from above it so I had to clamp off of bench and I climbed on top lol. Running a jig saw or circular saw is easy enough but the stroke for a hand saw makes cutting off of bench a little hard....

So I need a saw horse or a saw bench. I'm not really sure which is better. Saw bench seems short for a long saw but a saw horse is a little high for same reason as off the bench. I'm thinking maybe of making a couple saw horses that go just above my knee. Should be plenty of height for a full size saw. But I like the width of a saw bench and how some people clamp the work to it.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    Chris Schwarz has a YouTube video that's over an hour and a half on designing and building his saw-bench. In it he discusses the design considerations and sizing it specifically for your height and length of stroke. It's worth the watch. It's filmed in a classroom setting and there is a lot of footage of the folks taking the class working, and I fast forward through those bits.

DC

Well here it is. Ugly but very sturdy. Had some left over pieces from my shed so nothing fancy.

So far... I like it. Good height. Good maybe go with a smaller width but I'll see how I feet later. It's about q6 inches across by 35 long. I saw a picture of a fence for crosscuts... not sure if I want to do that though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It is good to have one to see what works for you and what doesn't.

Two saw benches is always helpful. If for nothing else but to hold up the other end of the piece as it is being cut off.

For me having a lot of them comes in handy:

Scrubbing.jpg

There not just for sawing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)