Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer of digital 8 tapes to disc

Transfer of digital 8 tapes to disc

I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and would like to transfer the Digital 8 tapes onto discs

This is my understanding of the task

The camcorder has a I.Link port ,my computer does not have a I.Link port

Possible solution
    Purchase/borrow a DVD recorder ,purchase a I.Link cable from Sony
    Use the cable and recorder to transfer the digital 8 tapes to disc

It may be simpler to just have a service business take care of the transfer as it's something they do all the time. Yes, there's a fee, but by the time you get it working and then spend the (real time) time doing the transfer of however many tapes of content you want to preserve, it may be worth it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Hauppagh capture card in my machine. I plugged the camera into it, and recorded as it ran. Then I transferred them to DVD.
    Had about 30 tapes so it took a while.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thank you Myk and Jim for your replies .I live in the United Kingdom and I have about 50 tapes to transfer The price I have been quoted is £10 ($13) per tape which equates to $650 and this is the reason I am exploring other options

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Thank you Myk and Jim for your replies .I live in the United Kingdom and I have about 50 tapes to transfer The price I have been quoted is £10 ($13) per tape which equates to $650 and this is the reason I am exploring other options
    That price doesn't appear out of line. Here's a U.S. vendor:

https://legacybox.com/

40 Tapes or films $1099.99. Video capture devices are not uncommon. The trick may be getting the playback device to talk to the capture device. Sony has a reputation for being a little 'difficult' in that respect.

Blog Entries
    I don't have one, but I do have a bunch of Hi-8 tapes from my Sony Digital Handicam I might want to transfer to my computer. Here is one analog solution by Pinnacle: https://www.pinnaclesys.com/en/produ...RoCXxkQAvD_BwE

This would use your 1/8" TRS audio/video out pin, and allows use of the s-video cable for better quality. Not sure if the I.Link port would result in better quality.

Or you can peruse Amazon for a solution: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hi-8+to+d...nb_sb_ss_i_2_4
    NOW you tell me...

20 years ago I shot a lot in digital 8 for my work and transfered to my computers for editing, then burned DVDs, made digital files, or put the video onto BetacamSP or VHS or other tape formats. But I retired in '06 and can't remember what I used? I still have all the equipment (sitting idle) so I might be able to figure it out.

At that time getting the video into the computer (digitizing) for editing was the hardest step in the entire process. I understand things got so much easier later but I have no suggestions for hardware. I have dumped tape directly to a DVD recorder through S-video (or component) but of course that way, you can't edit it first. My camcorders didn't have S-video output but I put the tapes in a stand-alone digital-8 recorder/player and digitized from there. I technically still have that player and you could borrow it, but I'd have to get it back from a friend I loaned it to years ago. (if he's still around!)

If dumping directly to DVD is OK for your use, it might be the easiest thing to do. I'm sure I still have some DVD recorders around but nothing has been turned on in 15 years. I'd think you could buy a DVD recorder but finding a player that would connect to it might be the problem.

There are video production places who might do that, the easiest thing and maybe not even the most expensive if the alternative is buying hardware. My son worked for one in Greenville SC but he's freelance now. If you want I could ask him what options he knows about.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    I have a Sony Digital 8 camcorder and would like to transfer the Digital 8 tapes onto discs

This is my understanding of the task

The camcorder has a I.Link port ,my computer does not have a I.Link port

Possible solution
    Purchase/borrow a DVD recorder ,purchase a I.Link cable from Sony
    Use the cable and recorder to transfer the digital 8 tapes to disc

Thank you to everyone for your advice

John I live in Quorn Leicestershire (Uk) , travelling 4008 miles to collect a player would be a little tricky during the present lockdown but a huge thank you for your kind offer
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-23-2020 at 2:52 PM.

I have an old win pc, I think it is win 7. It has a Hp dc5000 dvd writer attached to it. I can connect my Sony digital 8 camera directly to it and convert directly with software on the pc. It looks to me like the following will do similar. It may involve purchase of software and hardware, though.

https://dvdcreator.wondershare.com/d...i8-to-dvd.html

i really have no knowledge of this software other than a quick read on their website. Their company Facebook page seems to have recent additions but I did not look closely. Perhaps it is worth further investigation?

I have no affiliation with this company or software and have not purchased anything from them.

good luck with your conversion.

Blog Entries
    I used https://www.imemories.com/ it's a little pricey but you can't beat the customer service. iLink (as far as I know) is just firewire so you get a cheap firewire card and cable.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

I have a bunch of 8mm tapes I've been trying to get to DVD for years. The problem, my camera went bad. Bought a used one from a guy thru want ads, it worked for about 5 hours, then threw a drive belt. So I got another one on bay, old huge honker, works like a champ, records great, and plays back great- but won't play back MY tapes, tracking won't line up for love nor money. So I just went online to see if there's another way to do this. Lo and behold, I just found out that Hi-8 and Digital-8 cameras and players will play regular 8mm tapes...

But the main reason I'm posting up is, just in case anyone's interested, I found a Sony CCD-TR81 Handycam Hi-8 Video Camera BOX on ebay... JUST the empty box. Only asking $249.99, for an empty box, and only $20 shipping added. Squaretrade will sell you a 1 year protection plan for only $24.99. Only 294.98 out the door for an empty box...
    ummm...

That's nearly as bad at $1100 to transfer 40 tapes. I have MORE than 40 to copy. But if we can binge-watch every episode of Dexter, 24, Walking Dead and Chicago PD, I'm pretty sure I can watch 100 hours of our own movies. --now if I can just find a player that will RUN 100 hours without breaking down
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    ... Lo and behold, I just found out that Hi-8 and Digital-8 cameras and players will play regular 8mm tapes...
    --now if I can just find a player that will RUN 100 hours without breaking down
    Kev,

Just to be clear, are your tapes Video8? I shot Video8 for a while then switched to Hi-8 then to Digital-8.

One thing to consider, many Hi-8 and Digital-8 devices WILL play Video-8 but not all of them. At one time I experimented with what would play what and found some discrepancies. Can't remember the details, but if possible try before you buy.

I recently gave away my good Sony 3-chip Digital-8 camcorder, what beautiful shots compared to earlier formats. I still have some 8 things left: a Hi-8 Sony camcorder (TR700), a Sony Video8 recorder/player deck, and one fairly high end Canon E708. (I have a custom-built underwater housing for the Canon - used it a lot while scuba diving.) Another problem with playback on these devices is the manufacturers limited the video output of some camcorders and even higher end video cameras, presumably to sell more pro equipment to those who wanted to do real work. Some are restrained to composite video output while some include S-video.

Video8_and_Hi8.jpg Video_canon_8.jpg

Maybe you want to borrow my Video-8 deck for a while? It's guaranteed to play Video-8 tapes, at least if it still works. I haven't turned it on for decades!

Someday I'll find someone interested in all of this in trade for some wood or an old bandsaw or a plow. In the stack are a couple of professional VHS decks, if you can believe such a thing (I used them to copy VHS and the video AND audio quality was highly superior to consumer VHS), a $16,000 BetacamSP deck that was the best-of-the-best in it's day, a truckload of support devices and cables.

video_decks.jpg

Can't give this some of this stuff away these days. Maybe I could sell it on ebay to fit into someone's empty box.

In case anyone is the least interested, this the room in my basement where I worked for years, video editing, graphics, 3d modeling/animation. The absolute best job in the world, great work, but so glad to be retired and raising llamas and peacocks and digging in the dirt now!

dungeon_PA149365s.jpg

JKJ

A huge thank you to everyone for your replies and advice

I believe I have identified a solution but have 4 further questions

The solution I have chosen is to purchase a used

Sony VRD-MC5 Compact DVD Recorder from E bay

This will allow me to transfer the tapes directly

The questions I need to answer are which method provides the best results in transferring the tapes to disc

(1) Purchase a Sony I Link cable .Both the camcorder and Sony Dvd player have I Link ports
    or
    (2) Connect the camcorder and DVD recorder using Triple 3x RCA to RCA Phono Stereo (Cable with Yellow, Red and White connectors)

I telephoned Sony support and they said using the three cables (red,
    white and yellow) was a better option than using an I Link cable but I am not convinced

(3)The older recordings are in Hi 8 and later recordings are in Digital 8 and will the choice of cable impact on the quality of the recording

(4) What type of disc to purchase Dvd +R or Dvd -R From my limited research and understanding I am drawn Dvd +R
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-03-2020 at 4:10 PM.

I can only speak from my experience. I use the three RCA type wires (red, yellow, white) to do the transfer. Quality is pretty good. I also use +R dvd.

If I.Link is a digital connection (it's a proprietary name for Firewire/IEEE-1394?) then quality will almost certainly be better than using the analog RCA connectors.It's hard to imagine that fewer D-->A-->D conversions won't be better.

I'm regretting transferring my old recordings to DVD. The home burned disks don't last long (ones I did 10 years ago are failing), and we no longer have a DVD player hooked up on a regular basis. I have to go get it out of a closet to play a DVD, which never happens. I'm now re-transferring them to digital format on my NAS where they can be played directly to the TV and also get backed up to an off-site server so they won't get lost in a disaster.