Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer of digital 8 tapes to disc

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    If I.Link is a digital connection (it's a proprietary name for Firewire/IEEE-1394?) then quality will almost certainly be better than using the analog RCA connectors.It's hard to imagine that fewer D-->A-->D conversions won't be better.
    I also don't know about specifics the i-link but from my experience with video "composite" video (3 cables, red and white for audio and yellow for video) is the lowest quality of all the formats I've used in my video work before I retired. There is another three cable format called "component" which is vastly superior, however it requires two additional cables for audio. S-video is superior to composite but not as high quality as component. IEEE-1394 is supposedly excellent but at the time it wasn't widely available on pro video equipment.

I'll bet someone on the internet has a list of the pros and cons of the various video transfer formats!

If I.Link is a digital connection (it's a proprietary name for Firewire/IEEE-1394?) then quality will almost certainly be better than using the analog RCA connectors.It's hard to imagine that fewer D-->A-->D conversions won't be better.

I'm regretting transferring my old recordings to DVD. The home burned disks don't last long (ones I did 10 years ago are failing), and we no longer have a DVD player hooked up on a regular basis. I have to go get it out of a closet to play a DVD, which never happens. I'm now re-transferring them to digital format on my NAS where they can be played directly to the TV and also get backed up to an off-site server so they won't get lost in a disaster.
    There is an option for DVD and BluRay that supposedly will last a very long time and can be played in any DVD player. Writers have to be MDisc capable. The media isn't exactly cheap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

The links below may be useful to anyone with a Sony camcorder I found it very difficult to identify the pin configuration for the camcorder I Link port
    Please see links below

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00006751

All Sony digital camcorders have a 4-pin i.LINK connection.

and

https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/...uides/firewire
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-04-2020 at 2:40 PM.

Success

I purchased a Sony vrd-mc5 dvd recorder for $80 and it was a simple process in transfer the tapes to Disc

I would certainly recommend this approach

There are a few considerations early Sony dvd models eg mv3 do not transfer in HQ The later mc5 does record in HQ (please check this is my understanding)
    The mc5 can be used to make recording but does not operate as a player
    The mc10 model both records and plays dvds
    These may be considerations and should reflect the price you pay if considering purchasing one of these recorders
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-10-2020 at 7:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Success

I purchased a Sony vrd-mc5 dvd recorder for $80 and it was a simple process in transfer the tapes to Disc
    Good information!

When you have the DVDs in hand perhaps you can rip the digital file and use backups to avoid the possible loss of home-burned disks from deterioration Roger warned against here:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....80#post3026680
    I'm regretting transferring my old recordings to DVD. The home burned disks don't last long (ones I did 10 years ago are failing), and we no longer have a DVD player hooked up on a regular basis. I have to go get it out of a closet to play a DVD, which never happens. I'm now re-transferring them to digital format on my NAS where they can be played directly to the TV and also get backed up to an off-site server so they won't get lost in a disaster.

Thank you john for your post

My final question My understanding is that Sony were involved in the development of DVD +R

The Sony DVD MV5 recorder I have can record in both DVD -R and DVD+R which type of disc would be the best choice

Other

I do have about 40 unused DVD_R discs is it worth the expense of purchasing DVD +r discs or should I simply use the discs I have
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-10-2020 at 8:12 AM.

In addition to the Mdiscs I mentioned earlier, there are archival quality DVDs not usually available at office supply stores. Here's one source I have in my bookmarks. I have no association with them and have never ordered from them. I have no idea about shipping.

https://www.mediasupply.com/archive-data-storage.html

Summery
    Please see posts above

Additional information
    If you decide to go down the route of using a Sony vrd mc recorder please consider the following
    (1) My understanding is using the DV (i link port) provides the best method of transfer and you need to purchase a 4 pin to 4 pin I link cable (other models may have a usb connection which provides a hd format)
    (2) Ideally it may be best to use DVD +R discs as Sony were involved in the creation of DVD +R and the recorder records in this format My limited understanding suggests it may be a better format
    (3) I found my older tapes were recorded in long play mode so you need to give consideration the the capacity of the discs (I used 8.5GB discs ) otherwise you may need to transfer your video onto several discs which may not be ideal (suggest play tape in camcoder and measure running time to determine disc capacity needed)
    (4) I would suggest use better quality discs example. Verbatim higher quality discs
    (5) When using the Sony DVD recorder ensure the tape has fully re-winded before recording check this visually
    (6) Do not be tempted to touch your camcorder once you have started the transfer process I found on several occasions picking up the camcorder affected the transfer process ... leave well alone
    (7) Use a camcorder head cleaner before making transfer of data to ensure the recording heads are in optimum condition
    (8) The I link connection port is quite tight take care when connecting the cables to the camcorder and recorder
    (9) After making recording check the running time of the dvds If the dvd is full this may be an indication you have not transferred the entire content of the tape Check by playing the tape in the camcorder and using a stop watch to measure the running time then compare to the dvd running time
    Ideally the Sony recorder should prompt you to use more discs but this additional check may be a consideration

Post Script
    Please ensure you read the Sony manual carefully if you have a Sony handycam there are various models and methods of connecting the camcorder and recorder The method impacts upon the transfer quality

There is a reference page in the manual indicating connection method and transfer quality
    Further it can be slightly confusing I have a Sony digital 8 camera and there is a separate section for this camcorder When I initially read the manual I was followed the instructions for another handycam model and the on screen options were a little confusing
    eg Sony digital handycam only has full and manual recording options other models have different options

In summery read the manual carefully
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-13-2020 at 4:39 AM. Reason: provide additional information

Final thoughts on transfer
    Read the manual of you camcorder very carefully My camcorder has a number of ports and the choice of port determines the quality of the recordings transferred do not assume the I Link port is the best method

If deciding to purchase a Sony vrd mc player before making a purchase identify the model and features My understanding is models were produced at different price points and the price reflected the recorders available features
    Example my understanding is there are models that record in standard definition and models that record in a hd
    further I believe the vrdmc 10 both records and plays dvd other models do(may) not

A possible way forward in choosing which Sony vrd to purchase could be to first read the manual on line and view the diagram of the available ports