Thread: Bug zapper lights - declining popularity?

Bug zapper lights - declining popularity?

Have bug zapper lights declined in popularity?

Locally, I find no bug zapper lights for sale at hardware stores. Home Depot and Lowes doesn't stock them. Sutherlands and the local Ace Hardware don't have any. They can be purchased online, but why aren't they stocked in stores?

It's well known that bug zapper lights are ineffective in controlling mosquitoes, but they do kill houseflies. Have bug zappers been make obsolete by the small fan-powered mosquito control units and lures that stores do stock?

My assumption is that they are in short supply because of the meat shortage
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Lots of them on Amazon.

I have Dyna Traps. Best ones I have ever used.
    Dennis

Old woodworker, engraver, sometime fisherman (to justify all the tackle I own)
    Saw Stop Professional table saw, Delta drill press, Rikon band saw, Jet lathe, Rigid jointer and planner, and most air, hand tools made!
    Epilog 45 Helix, Trotec Speedy 360, Bengal plotter, Sublimation printer.

Blog Entries
    I remember an article in Consumer Reports a long time ago that was particularly candid. After explaining that the device is more effective at attracting bugs than killing them, the author suggested that the smart play is to buy one and give it to your neighbor.

Environmentalists also claim the things kill as many beneficial bugs as pests. My house sits on the edge of the woods and we have a wrap around porch to sit out on. We had a bug zapper, but it did attract far more than it killed. We learned that if we keep the lights away from the area we sit on, the bugs will be drawn to the light and leave us alone. I also got some table top torches and put a clean burning oil in them. I set one or two of those on the table and buds simply fly into the flame. They throw only a small amount of light, but it kills dozens of insects in a minute.

When we lived in Minnesota the mosquitos were horrible. So we moved to Tennessee!

Blog Entries
    I think that once it was revealed that they didn't take care of mosquitoes people lost interest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    When we lived in Minnesota the mosquitos were horrible. So we moved to Tennessee!
    Aren't mosquitoes the state bird of Minnesota?

We've taken to setting up a fan outside on the deck where we sit. Mosquitoes are not strong fliers, so a good breeze will keep them away.

I bought a small one a couple years ago at Lowes because they work on stink bugs and my shop was getting invaded. It was effective and worked fine inside.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    My assumption is that they are in short supply because of the meat shortage
    lol you have an evil mind
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    We use them for flying pests. Hang one about 50 feet away on an outbuilding while your grilling and congregating on the back patio and all is well. Obviously if you have horses out back or live where the bugs are big enough to carry off the zapper your results may be lackluster.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler