Thread: String trimmer hint

Blog Entries

String trimmer hint

I have a Ryobi 40 volt string trimmer and it eats the factory string like crazy or it vibration welds the string together in side the hub. I bought some after market string made by Ugly Line which was better, but still got used up quickly. I just purchased and tried some string from Maxpower and it is much better than any other I've used. With factory string I would have to reload the reel about twice per battery charge (about 30 minutes of use). With the Maxpower sting, I can trim the entire yard twice with a single reel of string (about 3 battery charges).

While reading the manual to see what size strings are correct for my trimmer, I ran across a note that suggested spraying silicone onto the string for better feeding. So far I've not had one incidence of vibration welding inside the reel since I started doing this.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Don't slam the string against what you're cutting close to. Notice the diameter of the cutting circle, and just sweep that next to the hard objects.

My SIL wanted to borrow one of my string trimmers, which are pro models. I guess she was used to just slamming hers against whatever she was cutting close to. The first thing she proceeded to do was slice halfway through her gutter downspout.

We've tried many different types of trimmer line. Current favorite is: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...r-line/cf3pro/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We've tried many different types of trimmer line. Current favorite is: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...r-line/cf3pro/
    Interesting reading the comments. One user was having line feed problems. The response was the string trimmers need to be at full throttle when feeding string to prevent jamming.

My "vibration welding" problem may have been caused by winding the spool too tightly. My current string is some yellow triangular product bought at the big box. It came at a good price on a 1000' roll. It has held up quite well. If the string lasts longer than a tank of gas, then it seems to be doing well. Usually though if my work is away from the shop a couple pieces of string will be taken along to let me replace in field.

The CF3 Pro Line looks like it might be worth a try.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Dewalt line is quite good. It's yellow with a black stripe. It is a lot better than the Black & Decker & other generic line I've used before.

No feed problems here with either the Stihl 25-2 head, or the Quick load type head (forget the real name of that one). Some people have a hard time operating anything. I didn't even bother to read the reviews.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Don't slam the string against what you're cutting close to. Notice the diameter of the cutting circle, and just sweep that next to the hard objects.
    I do in fact sweep the head back and forth while I advance on the stuff to be cut. The problem with spring breakage occured when I operated the trimmer at full speed and touched anything like new growth grass. Little chunks would break off. The trimmer has a variable speed trigger and if you run the motor at full rpm's string life declines dramatically. Higher rpm's also produced the vibration welding inside the head with the factory and Ugly Line string. The Maxpower string treated with silicone doesn't weld at any speed and feeds when needed. I weed whacked 100 feet of ditch without feeding line or having any breakage. With the previous brands I would have used over half a spool of line on the same ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting reading the comments. One user was having line feed problems. The response was the string trimmers need to be at full throttle when feeding string to prevent jamming.
    My string trimmer feeds when the rpm's drop below some level. As the head rotation slows down you can hear the mechanism click as it feeds line as it is supposed to do. If I keep the head spinning it doesn't feed line unless I need more line by stopping the head.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-23-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I wonder if you can put a different head on it. I don't see any need to "improve" on current bump feed heads.

I get along fine with the Stihl 25-2 heads, but my helpers have trouble remembering how to load it. For trimmers they use, I change the heads to the Speed Feed heads. Do a Google search for Quick Load Speed Feed string trimmer head. They come with a number of different adapters for different threads, as well as different sizes for different powered trimmers.

They are sold with various brand names, from Shindaiwa, Echo, and I forget what others, but they seem to be all the same. I start using one after all the 25-2's are worn out that came on the trimmers when new.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-23-2020 at 8:44 AM.

I bought the star shaped string, have had no issues since. I did put a heavier spring in my head to stop the accidental string extension.

Interesting about the silicone. I'll remember that for when someone has that problem.

I haven't had any trouble with vibration or the string sticking together so maybe that's due to the string I always use, a very heavy string with square cross section. The string is tough enough to cut down small woody weed plants like privet and trim small branches. I use a Shindaiwa gas-powered trimmer.

I learned long ago about staying aware of the cutting diameter. A book I read said more trees and shrubs are damaged by lack of care with string trimmers than anything else.

JKJ

At one of the museum houses we look after, some "volunteer" decided to "help", and do some trimming when we weren't there. He killed two very large, very old English Boxwoods which are fairly sensitive to abuse. I kept a section of the trunk to show as an example. I'll try to remember to take a picture the next time I'm there.

[QUOTE=With factory string I would have to reload the reel about twice per battery charge (about 30 minutes of use). With the Maxpower sting, I can trim the entire yard twice with a single reel of string (about 3 battery charges).
    [/QUOTE]

90 minutes with a trimmer....maybe you should get a lawn mower.

Blog Entries
    My string trimmer feeds when the rpm's drop below some level. As the head rotation slows down you can hear the mechanism click as it feeds line as it is supposed to do.
    That sounds like it could waste a lot of string quickly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That sounds like it could waste a lot of string quickly.

jtk
    Unless you start and stop a lot, I still need to stop once in a while to refresh the string, but there is no whacking of the head on the ground. The string edger mode really eats the string since it hits the dirt/driveway on every revolution.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!