Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6" Schedule 20 PVC

Im closer to you Bill, in Santa Cruz, guess I should list my location.

You might try looking for irrigation pipe at a farm and ranch store (maybe no ranches in Maine!).

My plumber gave me a recommendation of a local building supply that he is 100% positive stocks it. A few hours later it was reported that three employees tested positive for COVID-19.

I will call early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    You might try looking for irrigation pipe at a farm and ranch store (maybe no ranches in Maine!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney View Post
    If you buy ASTM-2729 pipe then you shouldn't buy Sch 40 fittings, different OD's and ID's, they won't work with each other.

Interesting. Mine slip-fit so well I don't even tape. Dad runs Schd 40 and I run ASTM-2729. We both run Schd 40 45's, 6x6x6 and 6x6x4 wyes and have interchanged parts without issue. I have mail-ordered schd 40 and styrene fittings years later for adds and changes without issue. All slip-fit securely. Maybe we have been very lucky? I would definitely double check with your supplier to assure that things are going to go together as expected.

Looking at some of the schedule specs it looks like (to someone who is not a pipe guy at all) that the O.D. of "most" PVC pipe and the I.D. of "most" PVC fittings are compatible. Pipe I.D. changes with schedule, dual mark and non-pressure applications. The statement appears in at least a couple of documents that the standards, although nominal, use the "size" in the name of the item to assure compatibility within a product family like PVC or Cast Iron or ABS . Again, I am not a pipe guy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just curious - Why not consider my suggestion and order from Ace? They are nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Just curious - Why not consider my suggestion and order from Ace? They are nationwide.
    The local building supply is an Ace retail location.

I am finally in possession of 6" sewer & drain schedule 20 PVC. The building supply that the plumber recommended didn't stock it. They are a Ace Hardware store so I asked them to order it. They found the item in the Ace system but didn't want to order it. One person told me that they couldn't order a couple of pieces & I would have to purchase they entire minimum quantity. Another person called me back & said that they could order a couple of pieces but I would have to pay shipping that would probably be a couple of hundred dollars. I'm not sure which was the real story. I got on the phone and lost count of the number of places I called in three states until I found it in stock at Portland Plastic Pipe in South Portland Maine.

I was in a short bed truck and slipped the pipe through the sliding rear window so that it wasn't hanging too far past the tailgate. On the way home I realized that I wasn't feeling well so I stopped and pulled over. I realized that the pipe was sucking the exhaust into the cabin of the truck and with the windows closed I was breathing too much carbon monoxide. It took about an hour before I felt OK to finish the drive. Not very smart on my part.

Blog Entries
    Glad you got the pipe. I just order Ace stuff online and select "ship to store". Often the store doesn't even know they got it yet when I get notified by the online system's email. I show up with the order number on my phone and they go find it in the back somewhere. this bypasses the store manger's desire, or lack thereof, to help me. Ace is generally more expensive than other BORG's but, around here, things like ASTM-2729, fiberglass insulation and plumbing valves are noticeably less in cost than at say, Home Depot. A good example of the value of being an informed consumer.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Glad you got the pipe. I just order Ace stuff online and select "ship to store". Often the store doesn't even know they got it yet when I get notified by the online system's email....
    Yes, that's how I bought some. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...n-pipe/4366647
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I tried that using the Ace website. You could select the ASTM-2729 but it wouldn't allow you to purchase. Both Ship to Home & Ship to Store were not selectable options.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Glad you
    got the pipe. I just order Ace stuff online and select "ship to store". Often the store doesn't even know they got it yet when I get notified by the online system's email. I show up with the order number on my phone and they go find it in the back somewhere. this bypasses the store manger's desire, or lack thereof, to help me. Ace is generally more expensive than other BORG's but, around here, things like ASTM-2729, fiberglass insulation and plumbing valves are noticeably less in cost than at say, Home Depot. A good example of the value of being an informed consumer.

Did you actually follow the link? It doesn't allow me to purchase. Can't be shipped to home or store. "Contact store for availability."

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    Did you actually follow the link? It doesn't allow me to purchase. Can't be shipped to home or store. "Contact store for availability."
    Must be your location. I went all the way to checkout just now:
    Annotation 2020-06-02 171705.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    I tried that using the Ace website. You could select the ASTM-2729 but it wouldn't allow you to purchase. Both Ship to Home & Ship to Store were not selectable options.

Curses, regional availability . This is how I feel when I see some of the deals the right-coast folks get on cherry and other woods not-so-available on the left coast. I don't know that I've ever even touched butternet or spruce that wasn't part of a guitar.

– Samuel Butler

Call your local store.

Hi Matt,
    I spoke to the local Ace many times and they made it clear that they didn't want to order the pipe. The only thing that I am not clear about is why.

The good/bad news is that it was published yesterday that 13 people associated with the location tested positive for COVID-19. If they had it in stock, I would have been there on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Call your local store.