Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6" Schedule 20 PVC

6" Schedule 20 PVC

Getting ready to modify my dust collection but I am not finding any schedule 20 PVC.

What type of business should I be looking for?

You might try looking for SDR (sewer and drain) rather than schd 20. In my area at least SDR is a lot more common.

If the big box stores there don't carry it, I'd look for a drainage supply house.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I'd recommend searching google for "ASTM D2729 6 site:sawmillcreek.org" - this question comes up a bunch and there are a wealth of good ideas in those old threads. The success stories seem to come from people making lots of calls to small supply houses.

Hi. I just put together my DC system using Schedule 35 PVC (SDR 35). I could buy 10-20' foot sections of this at my local Big Box store (the blue one...the orange one doesn't carry it in my area). This might also be available at irrigation supply stores or large plumbing specialty stores. For the fittings (which I could not find locally), I was able to get everything I needed at CompletePlumbingSource.com.

I used 6" for the main line and 4" SDR 35 PVC for the drops. The final few feet of each drop is flex tubing. I also found the ClearVue flex line adapters very useful for connecting 6" and 4" flex to the PVC pipe.

I am familiar with SDR. The issue seems to be that the schedule 20 SDR doesn't meet code to use in sewer or drain around here. Code now requires schedule 40 SDR.

Got mine from Ace hardware. They special ordered it from a supplier. ASTM D2729

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    I am familiar with SDR. The issue seems to be that the schedule 20 SDR doesn't meet code to use in sewer or drain around here. Code now requires schedule 40 SDR.

Ouch. How about DWV (drain, waste, vent) that is what I find stuff under. ASTM-2729 for pipe, mostly schd 40 for fittings but, some polystyrene fittings as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Ouch. How about DWV (drain, waste, vent) that is what I find stuff under. ASTM-2729 for pipe, mostly schd 40 for fittings but, some polystyrene fittings as well.
    If you buy ASTM-2729 pipe then you shouldn't buy Sch 40 fittings, different OD's and ID's, they won't work with each other.

You might also check with an electrical supply house but their conduit is thicker wall. They will have wide sweeping bends and 5" conduit.
    Ferguson pipe and supply has several branches in Maine
    I do not think Rain for rent is that far east
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-22-2020 at 8:31 PM.

Ewing Irigation carries it and the fittings.

Dont know if they are in Maine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Ewing Irigation carries it and the fittings.

Dont know if they are in Maine though.
    some do, my local Ewing just gave up on the 6" sdr. so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    I also found the ClearVue flex line adapters very useful for connecting 6" and 4" flex to the PVC pipe.
    Clearvue adapters are very nice, their shipping costs are just stupid, I wanted 3 adapters, the shipping was more than the parts... no thanks. making sheet metal ones at work... cost: my time.

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    some do, my local Ewing just gave up on the 6" sdr. so sad.
    sad, perhaps. But they can't use floor space to stock what they don't sell. If you have one near you , they can order in whatever you need. It'll be in their system.

Dave, that's a good point. Thanks. I actually am an account holder there and special order stuff all of the time-and didn't think of that. Duh. Ordering that stick with Matt, the store manager right now by email with part numbers from their (slower than molasses) website.
    EDIT***website says minimum order of 10-10'ers. We'll see.
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 05-24-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott lipscomb View Post
    Dave, that's a good point. Thanks. I actually am an account holder there and special order stuff all of the time-and didn't think of that. Duh. Ordering that stick with Matt, the store manager right now by email with part numbers from their (slower than molasses) website.
    EDIT***website says minimum order of 10-10'ers. We'll see.

Anyone in Maine want to make a deal on 6" sdr pipe contact Scott. You might list it in the classified on this site or craiglist.
    Bill D