Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing shop with blacksmith

Sharing shop with blacksmith

My son has become interested in blacksmithing (thanks to Forged in Fire). As I set aside space for him in my new shop, is there anything I should keep in mind?

The big thing I'd consider is the chance of fire. Woodworking generates a lot of combustible products (dust, scrap). I'd have to think carefully about the layout to make sure the area is safe.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Do you have an open space in the yard where you can build a smithing shelter?

Like Mike, my biggest worry is the chance of fire.

Maybe get some fire extinguishers or install a fire suppression system

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It makes a big mess. I only do it outside.

It is a filthy pursuit and would surely contaminate your woodworking area. If his fuel source is gas it's not as sooty but it is very dirty. A am lucky enough to have access to an outdoor set up when the mood comes over me. Perhaps there is a co-operative somewhere near you that your son could join?

The smell and noise are considerable.

Is the shop detached from your main house?

Their is. We are trying to get a time to go visit it now that the plague is lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The smell and noise are considerable.

Is the shop detached from your main house?
    Yes it is.

Then your fire risk is contained.
    Sharing shop time with your son is worthwhile.

Send us pics of your joint projects!

Have seen several woodworking/blacksmith set ups. Sparks are on the major concerns. What I have seen is the blacksmith area set up with a noncombustible floor - gravel, cement, brick, etc. Hammering at the anvil is one of the major sources of sparks, along with grinding. A piece of non-combustible material can be set up between the anvil and the rest of the shop when hammering to keep hot metal close at hand. The forge, if coal, won't be too sparky if the chimney and draft is set up properly. If using charcoal, it's really sparky -definitely better outside. Grinding can be done outside, but if done inside, where the sparks go is driven mainly by the grinder, so planning ahead can mitigate issues. Keep a good quench bucket handy as well as fire extinguishers located at several places to ensure one is close at hand.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll see what can go outside but it sounds like the biggest thing is good and plentiful fire extinguishers.

wood and blacksmithing don't mix -- until they need wood handles for the all the tools they make. light level in a blacksmith shop should be the same whenever forging so that the smith can more reliably tell the temperature of the metal when it comes out of the fire. less light is better. also forgewelding creates crazy sparks and flying molten metal bits. both of these factors point to a separate location. he could get by with a 100 SF 3 wall shed with a small propane forge, anvil and post vice. [or just store the equipment by the door and hand-truck everything outside to a patio space.]

I am in the same boat. My son-in-law is into smithing too. He does all his forging and stuff outside but the grinding and sanding is done in the wood shop. It is a bad combo.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

It is like welding next to your work bench. Not a good combo. Metal rust flying around is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll see what can go outside but it sounds like the biggest thing is good and plentiful fire extinguishers.
    Maybe build a small lean-to on the side of the shop?

Perhaps evident by the blacksmithing books in my library that's something I've wanted to do forever. Some day...
    I do save old pieces true wrought iron for future heating and hammering, perhaps by someone other then me! Easy to identify with a grinder.

JKJ