Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing on concrete floors

Standing on concrete floors

My lathe is located in my garage which has concrete floors. When I turn for a few hours, usually on the weekends, my back and feet ache for the rest of the day. I am on my feet most of the day at my job (UPS driver) so I am used to being on my feet for most of the day. I have tried the soft floor mats from Harbor Freight with little effect. Anyone else have this problem and a possible solution?

I find that wearing shoes with real raised heels and arch inserts helps me. Also, consider if your lathe needs to be raised (or possibly lowered) so you aren't hunched over and your back is mostly straight.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I am not a fan of the mats for a couple of reasons. You can't have them everywhere if you move machines at all and it makes it more difficult to clean up. I have always relied on footwear to give me the padding I need.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

I suffered the same problem so I made springy duckboards for both the wood and metal lathe. When the shavings build up too much, just pick it up and sweep them away. Best improvement I have made.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

You might try a less "springy" anti-fatigue mat. If it's compressing too much it might not be providing much effect. I have several and, unfortunately, it seems that the pricier ones (I got them either from Uline or McMaster Carr) do work better. They feel firm underfoot but solve the sore feet problem. They also have a smooth surface that's easy to sweep off as long as you sweep "with the grain"/

Compression socks and stall mats have helped me with foot and leg aches.

My wife bought me an anti-fatigue mat like the ones she uses for her fabric cutting table. It is smooth on all surfaces and tapers gradually to the floor at the edges. It's about 18 x 48". Works perfectly in front of my lathe. Lightweight and easy to pick up. Shavings don't cling to it, nor get under it. Makes a huge difference in fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Dyess View Post
    My lathe is located in my garage which has concrete floors. When I turn for a few hours, usually on the weekends, my back and feet ache for the rest of the day. I am on my feet most of the day at my job (UPS driver) so I am used to being on my feet for most of the day. I have tried the soft floor mats from Harbor Freight with little effect. Anyone else have this problem and a possible solution?
    Russell,

For years I had terrible problems with foot pain. I went to doctors, tried various expensive shoes and custom inserts and nothing worked. Then I switched to Telic shoes, the Dream clog: https://telic.com/collections/dream
    These helped a huge amount, like carrying a soft mat with me at all times. It got rid of my chronic plantar fascitis problems for good. I wore them for years and wore out a pile of them.

Then the same friend who got me started on Telic told me about Oofos, said they were better!: https://www.oofos.com/collections/me...s-oocloog-mens
    After trying them that's all I ever wear now - all day, every day. Around the farm, hiking in the mountains, working in the garden, on the tractor, feeding the horses, going to the store, walking around Europe, to church. I've got them on right now. It's like having a soft mat on the bottom of my feet all the time but better. The arch support is good, the traction is good. I've worn out two pairs so far and keep a spare since I'd really hate to be without for even a day. I can stand on the concrete floors all day without a problem.

You might give them a try. They work for me but your feet may be different.

Now back pain is different for me. Standing at the lathe I never get back pain. Standing at the bandsaw for hours cutting up blanks I get back pain. I suspect it's a combination of working height and the type of activity. Or just thinking of it now, under these shoes I do have mats at the lathe but not at the bandsaw. I'll have to put a mat at the bandsaw and see if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-05-2020 at 10:55 PM.

John I to have been bothered by foot painter years, diagnosed as Planter Faciaitus(sp) and bone spurs etc. Last year while in Montana I too discovered Oofos. During the summer I wear nothing but and my foot pain is just plain gone . . . I now can stand for hours in a good fitting NB walking shoe at my lathe but when in the house I go back to my Oofos. I wear them inside ALL the time even a short trip at night to the Loo. I have suggested this might help others that I know are suffering as well but usually get a "thanks but no thanks" I doubt a shoe can make that kind of difference . . . give them a try!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Well, if floor mats aren't helping, and your posture is good, and you have good shoes, one possible contributor could be that garage floors are generally sloped so rain water on cars will flow towards the door. Standing on a slanted floor can cause issues with feet and back. There are many different types of floor mats, My favorite are about 3/4 thick neoprene. I have heard of some getting the horse stall mats. The guys at the flooring place locally where I get my stuff told me they work fine if you weigh 1000 pounds+.

Haven't heard of the Oofos shoes before, may give them a shot. I have been wearing Merrill slipons for some years now. Comfortable, and have a slight heel cup so if you are backing up your foot doesn't slide out.

robo hippy

So how do you keep from filling your shoes up with chips with a low cut shoe like the Oofos? Hate that in the summer when I try to work in shorts and don't have the overlap between pants and boot top to shed the debris to the outside.

How wide are they? There was no indication of them coming in widths on the web site, probably bad news for my EEEE feet.

I haven't had my shoes, which are slip ons, fill up with chips since 90%+ are directed away from me when turning. I do wear compression stockings, and am always in shorts. I think some people use modified spats, old school, but snug around the upper ankle, and flare out around your foot. I only have an EE width. New Balance shoes come wider, and my Merril slip ons seem just fine...

robo hippy

Thanks for the info all. I just ordered Oofos to give it a shot. Old age sure sucks.
    For me I just take off the slippers a few steps before needing to and go barefoot a few steps. Kick off the chips when I get back. Put the slippers back on. Im always in shorts and slippers. I did learn NOT to wear cargo shorts. The pockets fill up pretty fast. Or keep them buttoned down. Unlike Robo, 90% of my chips seem to hit me, for some reason. Must be lack of skill. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    So how do you keep from filling your shoes up with chips with a low cut shoe like the Oofos? Hate that in the summer when I try to work in shorts and don't have the overlap between pants and boot top to shed the debris to the outside.

How wide are they? There was no indication of them coming in widths on the web site, probably bad news for my EEEE feet.
    I have a pair of Velcro strap "gaters" or shoe covers to keep shavings out of my shoe laces on my work shoes. I always wear solid toe shoes for protection in the shop and usually have steel toed shoes even. Daughter made the last pair I am using to be a little smaller than the original pair designed for 250# + fat legs. Velcro straps work with both low and high top shoes to cover laces and would work with bare legs to cover shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post

I don't notice the chips in the shoes. Maybe it's my good dust collector. But more likely I'm turning different things than some. I have more trouble with little bits of hay getting in my socks when feeding the critters. One little piece in the wrong place makes a needle to stab me repeatedly.

I don't remember about the widths. I bought the first pair at a local store and tried them on and liked the fit. I ordered another pair a few months ago from here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AECHSZ4
    I wear size 10 show and the woman's 12/men's 10 fits me fine. Outside I wear them with socks. Inside no socks and they are a little looser but haven't been a problem.

The only problem I've had is when a horse stepped on my foot. These are definitely not steel-toed shoes.

JKJ