Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got a Chrysler hybrid minivan??

Anybody got a Chrysler hybrid minivan??

My wife wants a new minivan. We now each drive a Ford C-Max plug in hybrid around most of the time, and love them. Both cars average over 100 MPG since new, and we get gas about every three months. A bit small for long trips though.

We have sold our travel trailer, and will be selling my F250 also. We are going to start doing a lot of traveling by car and we are going to sell our 15 year old Toyota Van, and have decided to get a Chrysler Pacifica plug in hybrid Van.

I have never been a Chrysler fan, and am hoping some creekers who own a hybrid Pacifica can report on how it is holding up.

Thanks
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-22-2020 at 3:49 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm just coming off a lease of a Pacifica (not hybrid) and have ordered a replacement of the same. The hybrid does not have the Stow-n-Go seats as the batteries take up the space. Since I don't have a pick-up, I need the fold down capability.

Full disclosure: I'm a Chrysler Retiree so I'm a bit of a captive customer (discount + keeps my pension going ).

I'm sending you a PM.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

See this www.caranddriver.com/chrysler/pacifica > , I find Car and Driver reviews to be good in general, except they value "sporty handling" more than I do.

The Pacifica has garnered pretty high marks since it replaced the Town & Country/Dodge Caravan back in 2016. The hybrid version is more recent, but I suspect it will perform well, especially for "ratting around" where there is more fuel benefit than during the long distance driving. TToyota and Honda have been really strong in the last decade for minivans, but IMHO, they still have not caught up with the Pacifica. If I were going to buy a minivan (and I never will) the Pacifica would get the nod at the present time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the non-hybrid Pacifica and really like it. For our cold temperatures, I do not care for the range.

How does the ford escape figure in there? Be careful in your climate up until a few years ago ford escape hybreds had to run the engine to get max ac cooling. even at a stop light. It had a underpowered electric ac pump that will in no way keep up with your summers.
    Bill D

I guess no one has one, but thanks for the general info guys. I am starting my hunt for one tomorrow. I will probably have to order it to get just what I want.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I suspect that the only downside to the hybrid version is that it's not available with all wheel drive, AFAIK. Ordering is always my preferred method for buying a vehicle...I get exactly what I want including trim level, colors and options.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I suspect that the only downside to the hybrid version is that it's not available with all wheel drive, AFAIK. Ordering is always my preferred method for buying a vehicle...I get exactly what I want including trim level, colors and options.
    Currently, none of the Pacifica models are available with AWD (FWD only) although rumors exist that they will eventually be produced (don't know if that includes hybrids.)

The 2021 Toyota Sienna will be hybrid and available with AWD, if that matters.

FYI. The Ford escape can be had as a hybrid and it is supposed to come out for 2021 as an all electric. As a gas only car it has been the number one seller in the USA several times. So I guess that means lots of folks like it, you may too.
    I have no idea if the new models will come out this year or not for any auto makers? Often the old models go on sale to unload them before the new ones come in.
    Bil lD

The new Toyota Sienna looks good, and we have had pretty good service from our current one, but it is a hybrid, not a plug in hybrid. Big difference.

All wheel drive is nice, but we don't need it anyway.

The Ford Escape is not a mini van, and is not considered. We would have to get a full sized Suburban to get the room in a mini van. Most importantly, my wife loved her two previous mini vans, and wants ONLY a mini van.

Using our C-Max Plug in hybrids over the last 5 years or so, we run on battery for the first 20 miles. This battery power covers most around town use. If we go farther in one trip the motor kicks in , and the car then acts like a normal hybrid for another 400 miles. We plug in as soon as we hit the garage, and the car is charged up again in a couple hours, ready for another 20 free miles. I say free because we have solar panels, which covers most electrical needs. When not traveling we fill up every three months or so.

We are in SoCal, and it is a perfect place for this system. It probably would not work if we were in many other areas.

That brings me back to the original post stating we are looking at the Pacifica plug in hybrid mini van. We have waited a couple years already waiting for an alternative to the Chrysler, with no luck. Gotta pull the trigger, and the Chrysler is the only game in town.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    RP
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-26-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    Currently, none of the Pacifica models are available with AWD (FWD only) although rumors exist that they will eventually be produced (don't know if that includes hybrids.)
    I they are introducing that for MY21 that will come out this year.

https://www.chrysler.com/2021/pacifi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    --

Jim,

Copied from your link...doesn't look like it'll be available on hybrids.

"That's why we're offering all-wheel drive on all gas models."
    Last edited by Bob Turkovich; 05-26-2020 at 2:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    Jim,

Copied from your link...doesn't look like it'll be available on hybrids.

"That's why we're offering all-wheel drive on all gas models."
    Yes, I mentioned that in Post #8
    --