Thread: Fun activity today

Fun activity today

Standing in the back of my little 4wd Kubota truck in our little orchard picking cherries before the birds get all of them.

The first cherry cobbler of the year cooked the same day as picking! Zounds, it smells good. I feel a snack with a little vanilla ice cream about to happen.

cherry_cobbler_2020.jpg

Black raspberries are right behind them, followed by red raspberries, cultivated blackberries and blueberries not far off. I think my new diet plan is to gain some weight...

JKJ

Looks delicious!

Looks wonderful. Fresh picked wild Blackberries in a pie is a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Looks wonderful. Fresh picked wild Blackberries in a pie is a favorite of mine.
    My Lovely Bride of 50 years is a big fan of blackberries so she will definitely make something when they come in. I don't like them much myself but I grow them for her. I put in thornless blackberries on trellises some years ago which are great to deal with. I also have the pleasure of battling the ticks, thorns, and yellowjackets to pick the wild ones for her.

We also have apples, peaches, and pears. Pear bread is one of my favorites - our supply of frozen from last year is gone! Another favorite is peach/blueberry, a combination she devised some years ago when we didn't have enough of either for separate pies or cobblers.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Wow, John, Our cherry tree is just now blooming. Oh, and I'll take one of each when they're ready.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I made a batch of fresh wild pickled asparagus a couple days ago. I have collected enough for another two pints too. Rhubarb is finally starting to grow do I am going to pick some today. The cool spring here in nw Iowa has slowed everything down. Nice to get some fresh stuff to eat

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I made a batch of fresh wild pickled asparagus a couple days ago. I have collected enough for another two pints too. Rhubarb is finally starting to grow do I am going to pick some today. The cool spring here in nw Iowa has slowed everything down. Nice to get some fresh stuff to eat
    I'm coming to your house for rhubarb! Somehow I lost all my years-long stand of rhubarb two years ago and lost the new plants last year I started in tubs. Trying again this year but you're not supposed to pick until the second year.

We are picking quantities of onions, lettuce, and other greens now. It's been cool and wet here but those things love it! Just now put in tomatoes and peppers, beans, okra, corn, and cushaw are next, as soon as the ground is dry enough to walk on - I measured 5" of rain here a few days ago!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think my new diet plan is to gain some weight...
    I hear you can blame it on the pandemic so you're good!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to get up to Traverse City for some black cherries early July, the best! My favorite pit spitting fruit. Some great cherry pie making skills up there too. Sutton's Bay has a bakery that has the best ones. Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor is a close second. For everyday pies it is the Cherry Hut in Beulah. TC is the tart cherry capital, PNW seems to crank out the most black (bing) cherries, even TC imports them for the July 4th cherry festival is it is a late season. Love them all. When I googled black cherry capital, Kane PA popped up, never has PA black cherries.
    NOW you tell me...

A followup...

Another picking, this one in my little orchard in the rain, standing on the roof of my little Kubota truck in my bare feet so I wouldn't slide off, the result of an hour or so of picking. Then like magic, a hot pie appears in the kitchen.

cherry_pie_comp.jpg

Life doesn't get much better than this!

JKJ

I think the last time I heard ,or read, "rhubarb " ,it was on the record of "Stop The World I Wanna Get Off". The phrase was "mumbo jumbo rhubarb rhubarb". 1960s . Gonna have to try it.

My mother made strawberry rhubarb pie every year when I was growing up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My mother made strawberry rhubarb pie every year when I was growing up.
    We have straberry-rhubarb pie too, when we have rhubarb. We also make rhubarb squares, eaten like cookies. Unfortunately, we lost all our plants last year.

Someone told me strangest way I've heard about eating rhubarb: her favorite way is to pick a stock and eat it raw in the garden. She said it was "tart." I couldn't live like that, mine has to be cooked in sugar.

JKJ