Thread: Question about French Polishing

Question about French Polishing

So, I’ve read every article I can find and have watched every video I can find on French polishing. I’ve also practiced on multiple boards. In general, my skills have GREATLY improved. There is one issue where I’m still having trouble with though.
    I can’t seem to get the streaks out of my last application. Every time I try to rub out the finish, I’m left with very faint marks from the rubber. It really only shows up in the parts of the wood dyed black. This a seems to happen when I apply light shellac or when the rubber is only charged with alcohol.

Thanks for your help,,
    Tom

Bob Flexner suggests using naphtha instead of alcohol to remove the mineral oil lubricant from the final shellac surface. Just dampen a clean cloth and wipe the surface oil.

I too have been playing with French Polishing for a couple of years. I’ve used cotton Tshirt, linen, handkerchief, underwear, you name it and can get streaks as well. I’m finding that I’m over working it. A few initial sessions until it’s nice and glossy and then leave it. The more sessions, the more streaks/swirls.