Thread: FYI: oil paint in short supply

FYI: oil paint in short supply

I had to go to three different hardware stores to buy two quart cans of oil based paint to paint my tablesaw. Nothing odd just smoke gray and blue. I think people are doing little painting projects for the duration and buying out the stores. No idea if there is a actual problem at the factories or not.
    Bill D.

I think it is more than the resent situation. I needed some oil based last summer and I had to drive n hour to get it. I think it is being phased out slowly but surely.

Blog Entries
    Out of all the stores around here that sell paint, very few carry oil based paint. Been that way for years.

I see you're in CA. I'm speculating, but could environmental regulations in your state have something to do with it?
    Same reasons some of the VOC containing wood finishes have been dropped?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I see you're in CA. I'm speculating, but could environmental regulations in your state have something to do with it?
    Same reasons some of the VOC containing wood finishes have been dropped?
    Bingo!

It's the same here in Canada, high VOC finishes are disappearing.

I finally found a water based polyurethane I like, it's the Minwax Oil Modified water based polyurethane. It has a slight amber tone which I like, and with the fast drying I can put 4 coats on in a day which is great. Oh, no obnoxious odour either.....Rod.