Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Things Don't Last Forever

Blog Entries

Good Things Don't Last Forever

Clicking on the Garden Clearance Event linked in this morning's Lee Valley email revealed this:

This is the End?.jpg

Until today, all shipping was free.

Glad that cute little hammer that wan't really needed arrived yesterday:

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.19.12 AM.jpg

There was a small space for it to squeeze into the hammer rack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim!

Shipping is still free for orders over $30. Under $20, we lose our shirts - and that was about 15% of the orders we have been taking for 6 weeks or so now. We were running "no limit" free shipping for the first time as ...... well ... umm ..... this our first pandemic, and we wanted our store customers to be able to get the stuff they needed to stay sane while locked at home. Now that stores are open on a limited basis - we need our shirts back.

Believe me - we miss the shipping revenue, as shipping is a real cost (did you know carriers are actually charging more for shipping during COVID? Surge pricing comes to ecommerce.....), but we are sharing the pain....

Cheers -

Rob
    (still working from home.....which means I'm always at work.....!)

(OK - maybe not on the weekends)

(But i still don't get to see my Grand-kids in person.)

Lee Valley rocks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the response Rob. Also thanks for helping a lot of us get a few of the goodies we have been wanting.

As Bob said, Lee Valley rocks!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have to confess I was part of Rob Lee's problem last month. I took to jumping onto the site almost daily and fishing for some little thing I usually wouldn't buy on its own if I had to pay for shipping. The trouble was, I bought 3 or 4 things each under $10 or $20 in the span of a week. Sorry, Rob.

Today I tried to make up for that by ordering the set of five Imperial router plane blades to go with my 1/2" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I have to confess I was part of Rob Lee's problem last month. I took to jumping onto the site almost daily and fishing for some little thing I usually wouldn't buy on its own if I had to pay for shipping. The trouble was, I bought 3 or 4 things each under $10 or $20 in the span of a week. Sorry, Rob.

Today I tried to make up for that by ordering the set of five Imperial router plane blades to go with my 1/2" one.
    Are you saying you have my shirt??

Really - no problem - thanks for the orders.... you were (are) keeping people employed....

Cheers -

Rob
    (who ordered at least 10 times for store pick-up. Have to post one of my "Covid projects" here......)

Hey Rob, any chance we can (in future) opt for a shipper other than UPS? It's a minor quibble, admittedly, but locally our depot seems to be really affected by the current events...
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Hey Rob, any chance we can (in future) opt for a shipper other than UPS? It's a minor quibble, admittedly, but locally our depot seems to be really affected by the current events...
    Hi Mike - yes we can do that. You just have to put a note in the "Comment" box during check-out.... that flags your order for a service rep to look at, and they can switch the shipping.

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Mike - yes we can do that. You just have to put a note in the "Comment" box during check-out.... that flags your order for a service rep to look at, and they can switch the shipping.

Cheers -

Rob
    As always, you guys rock. Thanks!
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thank you Rob. I made a couple of orders during the scare. You spoil us pretty well. I was starting to worry a bit when I didn’t get my shipping confirmation for 7 days on the second order. Only with you guys would I have concerns. My concern was for you and your employees. I hope all is well and continues to be so. Aren’t we lucky.

Rob,

Thanks for the comfort and keeping us all sane (or is it insane?). We love you, babe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    . Glad that cute little hammer that wasn't really needed arrived yesterday:
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.19.12 AM.jpg
    jtk
    Off topic, but that is such a nicely balanced hammer that it gets used for many tasks for which I would never have considered a small hammer before. I now have three around the house, including the shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Off topic, but that is such a nicely balanced hammer that it gets used for many tasks for which I would never have considered a small hammer before. I now have three around the house, including the shop.
    My original intent was to get two with one being for Candy. She wasn't interested. So there is one in the shop.

In use it felt a little light for a 6d common nail. It will probably be just right for 4d nails and brads of all sizes and occasional light persuasion.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Jim!

Shipping is still free for orders over $30. Under $20, we lose our shirts - and that was about 15% of the orders we have been taking for 6 weeks or so now. We were running "no limit" free shipping for the first time as ...... well ... umm ..... this our first pandemic, and we wanted our store customers to be able to get the stuff they needed to stay sane while locked at home. Now that stores are open on a limited basis - we need our shirts back.

Believe me - we miss the shipping revenue, as shipping is a real cost (did you know carriers are actually charging more for shipping during COVID? Surge pricing comes to ecommerce.....), but we are sharing the pain....

Cheers -

Rob
    .)
    85%er here. I thought fabulous, free shipping without having to worry about the minimums. Let’s see the original order was over 10X the current minimum. And the order the next day for the stuff I forgot (Since I haven’t quite gotten the hang of finding things on the new website)was over 2X the current minimum. I did think about adding a note that the two orders could be combined for shipping, but didn’t want to scramble things up. ...though Rob screwed up a bit, if the router plane flyer had arrived 2 days earlier I Probably would have talked myself into adding the medium router plane to the order. But I’ll make do with the large router plane and fussing with the small one.

Since I only Put $29 worth of diesel (At $1.91/gal)in the truck over the last 2 1/2 months, I used that as an excuse to get some things I wanted. I probably need to send some business towards the local woodcraft to keep them in business too.

John (nope I don’t think I have Rob’s shirt)

It is rare that I manage to keep my order under $200. I always keep finding more things.