Thread: Another Table Saw Question

Another Table Saw Question

Let’s not consider price on this one. If your choice was between Grizzly and Delta. Both fit in your budget, which would you choose. Cabinet Saw. Both 5Hp.

Delta.jpg

This is the Delta i found today. Anything thoughts?
    Last edited by William Herrin; 05-21-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Delta older unisaw because parts will be available for the rest of my life, new and used. Of course the only factory parts are likely to be an arbor or maybe a gear. I doubt if the new unisaw parts will still be made 30 years from now. Grizzly almost sure to have switched suppliers by then.
    Bill D.

I'm just glad I have an older, US-made Delta Unisaw with Unifence (purchased new), and don't have to make that decision...

There are not enough improvements in table saws to make me want to change.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Blog Entries
    I tried hard to add some value here. I love old arn but, respect current safety features. I kept going back and forth and still am failing to add any value. Apologies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Delta older unisaw because parts will be available for the rest of my life, new and used.
    Bill D.
    But will they be, or are they even now? Delta machinery that came from the previous version of the company has no new parts availability. When the company was bought, all non-current parts inventory was scrapped. Unless there's been an about face & they are making those old parts again.

And I agree with @glenn bradley . No matter how wonderful that old machinery is, I wouldn't buy it if it couldn't be fitted with an easy to use guard & riving knife

Pardon me not knowing a terrible amount about old or new delta, but are you saying the new one is not safe???

Quote Originally Posted by William Herrin View Post
    Let’s not consider price on this one. If your choice was between Grizzly and Delta. Both fit in your budget, which would you choose. Cabinet Saw. Both 5Hp.

Delta.jpg

This is the Delta i found today. Anything thoughts?
    William,
    This is the one I have. It's a joy to use, well built, and great customer service (which I haven't needed yet for this saw). And replacement parts are readily available. I would buy it again in a heartbeat!
    David

Grizzly 1023 RLWX.jpg Grizzly Sliding Attachment 1.jpg Grizzly 1023rlwx cast iron router table extension.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 05-21-2020 at 5:13 PM.

I doubt small parts availability is going to be an issue in ten years. You'll just go to Amazon Print, type in a part number, order it, and by end of day a 3-D printed part will arrive at your door via drone.

I really think the only part most folks will ever need is a new arbor. If you clean the gears when they get gummy they should last 100 years or more in most home shops. Bearings are worldwide unless it is a walker turner 15" drillpress.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I really think the only part most folks will ever need is a new arbor. If you clean the gears when they get gummy they should last 100 years or more in most home shops. Bearings are worldwide unless it is a walker turner 15" drillpress.
    Bil lD
    I agree. There are thousands out there so other parts if ever needed are available.

Blog Entries
    Pardon me not knowing a terrible amount about old or new delta, but are you saying the new one is not safe???
    Not at all. Most modern tablesaws have usable blade guards, riving knives and decent dust collection designs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My shop teacher, after explaining and testing us on all the safety features and procedures on the power tools in the shop, said "Power tools are inherently unsafe. It is up to you to be safe."

Granted, this was LONG before riving knifes and rapid braking technology, but it still holds very true.

-- Andy - Arlington TX