Thread: Moisture Content for Epoxy Encapsulated Slabs

Moisture Content for Epoxy Encapsulated Slabs

I've never messed with epoxy, but I have a buddy who has just started messing around with it. He asked me how important the MC is if your wood is fully encapsulated in epoxy, will it continue to dry or shrink or crack etc. My gut reaction is to say you at least want it to be air dried as opposed to using green wood, but the majority of the online conversation on encapsulated wood is by boat makers. He just wants to do small stuff like coasters or charcuterie boards at first and maybe work up to tables or bar tops eventually. Everything he's done so far has been with store bought pine so he never thought about MC, but he's wanting to use some locally milled lumber and the concept MC is new to him. I did read one guy tried with some green wood and the epoxy ended up bubbling and peeling away from the wood. So I guess the real question is - how wet is too wet for epoxy encapsulation?

I can't answer the question on the moisture content, but I can tell you it has to be dry. Usually when you pour resins on wood and put it in a pressure pot, it is advisable to heat the wood in a small oven to help dry the moisture. In not doing so, it leads to bubbles and other problems later in the resin. Resins are too expensive to not fully dry the wood before encapsulating it.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE