Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Diefenbach workbench

New to me Diefenbach workbench

My grandfather got into woodworking late in life when my father was too busy to be bothered with it so he moved all his tools and a few new ones including this bench to my grandfathers basement. My Grandfather used the bench for woodworking for about 2 years before he kind of lost interest then it became a catchall and used for all types of house projects, and for grand kids to come over with their projects(so there are minor imperfections do to the misuse, all cosmetic or correctable.) My grandfather died about 5 years ago and once owned a home where I could host tools I was supposed to get the tools, but my grandmother said no they are for everyone. 5 years goes by and I've stocked my garage with all but a good workbench which i had planned to build in the next year or s, I even bought 2 twin turbo vices.

My questions are as follows.
    I would like to take a light sanding to the surface and a plane to the box joints that have come a little out of perfection. What should I coat the bench with after that?
    I really wanted to use the twin turbo vices. Should I bastardize this thing? or sell off the vices.(im thinking sell the vices)

Bench is identical to this with the exception of 9 drawers instead of 6/cabinet
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/foru...-to-ask-for-it

Blog Entries
    This raises a few questions.

It is unclear if the bench is in your shop or in your grandmother's basement.

Are the vises on the old bench working well?

One of my favorite recommendations is to not try fixing that which isn't broken.

When it comes to coating one's workbench you could get a discussion to rival a sharpening thread.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The bench has already been relocated to my garage. The vises are in great shape. The bench overall is in great shape. Its as if it were used as table to hold things, I dont see any signs of actual woodworking use.

You will love it as it is.....I have that exact same bench and would not change a thing. I'm with Jim.....don't fix what is not broken. Just use it!!

Jim

The vises might be satisfactory, once cleaned and lubricated. Rather than sand the bench top, I recommend using a larger Sandvik scraper (around $25) to clear off the old finish, glue and paint spatter.

Boiled Linseed oil is an easy to apply finish that can be refreshed as needed.

Fully laden, these are heavy - a sturdy two wheeler and furniture glides will help when repositioning the bench.

Nice legacy for your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    You will love it as it is.....I have that exact same bench and would not change a thing. I'm with Jim.....don't fix what is not broken. Just use it!!

Jim

Have you had to add oil or refinish it at all?

What a score-that's a great bench, especially since you don't have to build it. One tradition says surface with a toothing plane and leave raw to increase sticktion. (See Patrick Edwards' website). Other traditions say oil and treat as an altar (Franz Klausz). I've done both. Thus, I'd say do whatever you would most enjoy

Congrats and will look forward to seeing what you build.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The vises are your sticktion, say no to the toothing plane!!! Smoking hot BLO applied with wire wool and tongs will leave a high friction surface, three coats a few days apart. After each coat has soaked in for half an hour wipe every drop off. After that Tung oil can be used to address ‘use marks’.
    You will love the tail vise, it will get a lot of use.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

I would scrape off the gunk and then flatten the top with a jointer plane and a smoother (I'm assuming it won't be flat after doing whatever you need to do to remove all the gunk). If you will be doing any glue-ups on the bench I'd apply one coat of boiled linseed oil and then wipe it off. That will make it easier to clean up any glue that lands on the bench. Don't do anything else unless something else is broken.

I will definitely go smooth. And blo was what I was thinking just checking. I've only ever used it cold or mixed not hot. Sounds like a good use for the hot plate I bought for my brand . Just need a pot

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    I would scrape off the gunk and then flatten the top with a jointer plane and a smoother (I'm assuming it won't be flat after doing whatever you need to do to remove all the gunk). If you will be doing any glue-ups on the bench I'd apply one coat of boiled linseed oil and then wipe it off. That will make it easier to clean up any glue that lands on the bench. Don't do anything else unless something else is broken.
    Im picking up a sheet of Masonite or 1/2" ply for glueups/epoxy/finishing

George, you know we love pics. Hint, hint.

I'll try and get some pics up later

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Have you had to add oil or refinish it at all?
    Nope, just use it and vacuum/wipe off. If I spill anything on it I use whatever solvent is required and wipe that spot off.

Jim

IMG_20200523_070823.jpg

Heres a pic of the bench. I had to build a platform to raise tablesaw but worth it