Thread: Garden cushion chest - request for suggestions

Garden cushion chest - request for suggestions

Hello friends,

I want to build a large chest for the garden to store seat cushions. Have you seen any designs that would meet my requirements:
    . it needs to be weather proof (rain needs to be led off with slopes and smart joinery)
    . the case should be off the ground (held up by legs or posts)
    . it should have a sloped lid, for the rain

I'm thinking of making a frame with mortise and tenons, some grooves for some plywood panels and nailing on some cedar shingles. Any other ideas that might look nice too? I just haven't figured out how to detail it so that rain water doesn't get trapped anywhere (like in the grooves of the rails) and gets flushed freely...

Wishing you health and happy shavings!
    Thank you.

Right off the top of my head I would think about how water is channeled off of wood framed window frames in the US. Perhaps some solutions there.

Blog Entries
    My first idea is to build it to look like a typical dog house. The roof structure could be on a hinge with a latch.

It might even be good to have it on wheels so it could be moved to a more sheltered spot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just a few years back plastic deck chests were big sellers. I guess the sun killed them. Marine ply ,I think , is overkill
    since it is made to be IN water. Deck box is a job for good 1 side plywood covered with light canvas glued on with
    Titebond 2 and painted.

Thanks all for your replies.

Dog house was the funnest answer here.

Material wise marine ply would be a good idea. I was thinking cedar would grey nicely.

If anyone has any links to project ideas, do share.

Blog Entries
    Hi Philippe, many aspects of a storage chest will depend on what part of the world you will be using this. Different weather patterns would call for different designs or materials. Also to be considered is if you want it to blend in with your existing decor.

Another obstacle in the mix is if anyone posts images you might have to be a contributor ($6, USD) to see them if they are hosted here on SMC.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As I glance over at the pile of outdoor furniture cushions piled behind the couch I am reminded that I too want to build an outdoor chest to house them.

(You see there is a war on between me and the squirrels. For 10 years we lived in peace. Then they started eating the house and $500 worth of outdoor cushions. I have very limited safe fields of fire for the .22 air rifle... so I may have to resort to storing the cushions in a box. But since it will be next to the pool, I'd like the box to look reasonably nice.

I'm interested to see where this thread goes. Meanwhile the war continues...

I went thru this a number of years ago and went with a plastic storage box from a big box store.

It works great, no maintenance and looks OK. It keeps the weather and critters out of it.

My cushions are pretty big. None of the plastic bins are big enough/tall enough (at least that I've found).
    I think custom is in my future.

Like the OP, I want something that will shed water, but breathe as well so wet cushions can dry out. I was thinking of some kind of slats for sides like on traditional house siding but with some kind of air gap. But I don't know.

With fixed open louvers you might get some mold ...even in Texas. To keep squirils out you could put some Bitrex in the
    paint. I think it's about $10 on eBay from China. Canvas was the covering for trunks and such for hundreds of years.
    Before plastic suit cases they were almost ALL covered with canvas. There is a guy on you tube with info .