Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical Question Wire Gauge

Blog Entries
    If the OP has a dedicated circuit for the single motor then he can follow the single motor rules in the NEC which allow for short circuit protection by the breaker and a smaller wire gauge that is protected by the overloads feeding motor. I hope the manufacturer included this protection for a piece of equipment that size. But in order to answer what is per code the circuit needs to be understood.
    If this is a multi-outlet branch circuit then it doesn’t sound like it meets the NEC rules.

There are specific cases where lower-amperage-rated receptacles are allowed on circuits wired and protected for higher amperage. One typical example is multiple 15 amp receptacles in residential kitchens and/or dining rooms, on 20 amp circuit breaker(s), with 12 ga wire (120VAC).

I do not know if other such situations are allowed/prohibited by code.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    There are specific cases where lower-amperage-rated receptacles are allowed on circuits wired and protected for higher amperage. One typical example is multiple 15 amp receptacles in residential kitchens and/or dining rooms, on 20 amp circuit breaker(s), with 12 ga wire (120VAC).

I do not know if other such situations are allowed/prohibited by code.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Stick welder 50 amp outlet is allowed to run a 50 amp breaker on 40 amp wire. Theory being that a stick welder runs less then half the time between switching out rods, chipping slag, assembling, etc. Use it to run a car charger and it is in violation. How long is continuous anyway?
    Bill D

On edit: continuous is three hours or more.