Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc Sander for Segmented Turnings

Disc Sander for Segmented Turnings

I am planning to try some segmented turning. So this is a good excuse to add a new tool. My understanding is that disc sanders are hand for finishing sanding segments.

I am looking for recommendations on disc sanders. I was thinking about a 12” diameter, but that is somewhat arbitrary.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

FB_IMG_1587611772275.jpgIf you use a tablesaw and make a "wedgie sled" you do not need a sander. No sander used with this piece
    Last edited by Sam Force; 05-20-2020 at 8:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I am planning to try some segmented turning. So this is a good excuse to add a new tool. My understanding is that disc sanders are hand for finishing sanding segments.

I am looking for recommendations on disc sanders. I was thinking about a 12” diameter, but that is somewhat arbitrary.
    Rich,

I don't do segmented pieces but I do use my disk sanders a lot for other things - I use two sizes, both are Rikon belt/disk sanders - they are not the quality of a large dedicated (expensive) disk sander but I do use the belt a lot. My largest disk is 10" but a 12" size would be more useful at times. Some people make disks to fit on the lathe and take advantage of the variable speed. Youtube has some videos of people who made their own stand-alone disk sanders.

Never waste a good opportunity to get a new tool!

Here's one way to rig up an inexpensive system, using a lathe. Start with a 12" Shopsmith Steel Sanding disk (I had one. Looks like they're going for ~$30 on Ebay). Add an $11 Morse taper adapter from Beall to attach the disk to the lathe https://bealltool.com/products/turning/tapers.php. Use some 1/4"-20 all thread to hold the adapter in place. Build a simple wooden table to rest on the bed of the lathe to support the work being sanded. I added a dust collection port to the table.

Following on from David's post (#4), does anyone know is someone makes a flat surface support that would fit in the lathe banjo?

I used to have a Shopsmith and the disc sander was one of the most used tools for me, so I can see how this might work.

There are also lots of YouTube videos showing disc sanders, being made for wood lathes, using a faceplate and MDF.

I've been looking at the 12" Rikon Disc Sander ($250-$300), but I think I'll try the DIY approach first, plus it's one less tool to find space for.

I also do segmented bowls. With my cheap homemade Wedgie Sled, the only real area of sanding is running a glued up ring through my drum sander to make sure it's perfectly flat, on both sides, before glueing the rings together.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Following on from David's post (#4), does anyone know is someone makes a flat surface support that would fit in the lathe banjo?
    I made one with a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe and a floor flange. The pipe screws into the floor flange and then attach a piece of plywood to the floor flange. 3/4" pipe won't fit into most 1" tool post banjos, but check yours. Works pretty good and is fully adjustable.
    Last edited by Robert D Evans; 05-21-2020 at 2:52 PM.

I made this simple 9" disk sander with MDF mounted to a seldom used faceplate. I have since added a 9" PSA to hook and loop backer from 2sand.com to the MDF to make changing disks easier. It could easily be adapted to 12" if needed.

I had an older disk/belt combo that never ran true. This one is as true running as can be, plus the speed can be controlled easily.

IMG_3116.JPG
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 05-21-2020 at 3:46 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Rich, I have started doing segmented pieces. Have done five of them at this point. I decided I like doing them enough and I had enough other good excuses for one that I got a drum sander which does a great job leveling out the rings so that they can be glued up. Even with a wedgie sled, I find it is impossible to get the rings perfectly flat when you glue the segments together.

That said, for my first couple of pieces I went low tech and it worked just fine: I used a homemade circle jig for my trim router to cut a 12" circle out of a nice piece of 3/4" plywoord. Then I bought a cheap faceplate which I centered on the circle and screwed in place. 12" is the swing over of my lathe. Then I bought some 12" PSA sanding discs. Worked just fine.

There's an expert segmented bowl maker on Youtube who uses this approach, and he seems to have all of the other fancy tools.

Good luck, I think you will find it is quite fun to do segmented pieces.

--dan

A drum sander is more important than a disc sander. I have a homemade wedgie sled to cut all of the segments. To clean them up I glue 100 grit to a piece of MDF. Where a disc sander does come in handy is to fit the 2 haves together. If the half’s are a little off I use the 100 grit, if more I have a 6 inch disc sander. Before the drum sander I would use the 100 grit and flatten them. Drum sander is the bees knees.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    FB_IMG_1587611772275.jpgIf you use a tablesaw and make a "wedgie sled" you do not need a sander. No sander used with this piece
    That is a very nice looking bowl, nice job. I also use a wedgie sled and do not need to sand the segment edges. I do find a need to sand/flatten the rings after glue up. A drum sander makes short work of the flattening. Sometimes I will use the disc sander to flatten the first side then the drum sander to make the second face parallel to the side flattened with the disc sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    I was wondering about the wedgie sled. I watched a few You Tube University videos where they used the wedgie sled and just sanded by hand to clean up the wedges.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Rich,

I don't do segmented pieces but I do use my disk sanders a lot for other things - I use two sizes, both are Rikon belt/disk sanders - they are not the quality of a large dedicated (expensive) disk sander but I do use the belt a lot. My largest disk is 10" but a 12" size would be more useful at times. Some people make disks to fit on the lathe and take advantage of the variable speed. Youtube has some videos of people who made their own stand-alone disk sanders.
    I have a Rigid belt / spindle sander, but the belt pushes parallel to the table, so you don't have control like you would with the disc sander. I know I would use it for a lot more than segmented.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I made this simple 9" disk sander with MDF mounted to a seldom used faceplate. I have since added a 9" PSA to hook and loop backer from 2sand.com to the MDF to make changing disks easier. It could easily be adapted to 12" if needed.

I had an older disk/belt combo that never ran true. This one is as true running as can be, plus the speed can be controlled easily.

IMG_3116.JPG
    This looks l like a nice set up. I saw a couple of plans similar to this. It does tie up the lathe, but it looks like it is fast to set up and take down.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    Never waste a good opportunity to get a new tool!

Here's one way to rig up an inexpensive system, using a lathe. Start with a 12" Shopsmith Steel Sanding disk (I had one. Looks like they're going for ~$30 on Ebay). Add an $11 Morse taper adapter from Beall to attach the disk to the lathe https://bealltool.com/products/turning/tapers.php. Use some 1/4"-20 all thread to hold the adapter in place. Build a simple wooden table to rest on the bed of the lathe to support the work being sanded. I added a dust collection port to the table.

I checked out some of the prices on ebay - not too bad. I saw a few of these lathe set ups on You Tube Univeristy.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gaylin View Post
    Rich, I have started doing segmented pieces. Have done five of them at this point. I decided I like doing them enough and I had enough other good excuses for one that I got a drum sander which does a great job leveling out the rings so that they can be glued up. Even with a wedgie sled, I find it is impossible to get the rings perfectly flat when you glue the segments together.

That said, for my first couple of pieces I went low tech and it worked just fine: I used a homemade circle jig for my trim router to cut a 12" circle out of a nice piece of 3/4" plywoord. Then I bought a cheap faceplate which I centered on the circle and screwed in place. 12" is the swing over of my lathe. Then I bought some 12" PSA sanding discs. Worked just fine.

There's an expert segmented bowl maker on Youtube who uses this approach, and he seems to have all of the other fancy tools.

Good luck, I think you will find it is quite fun to do segmented pieces.

--dan
    I havent convinced myself to buy a drum sander yet. To flatten the rings, I am going to try Cole jaws and turn the face flat followed by face sanding on a flat plate.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich