Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices of Japanese natural stones

Prices of Japanese natural stones

Supposing you're a wealthy woodworker, would you consider paying US$9000 or US$7500 for a Japanese natural stone? While browsing on Ebay I noticed two offerings for "Junma Masamoto Motoyama Zhongshan Special Satin Pattern" and a "Pure Shinsei Motoyama Board Zhongshan", I'm not sure if these are real prices that people will pay for, I found a site were some jnats go for $3k. Perhaps there is a special kind of satisfaction sharpening tools on these stones, similar to that of planing with a £10k new infill hand plane, or driving a US$180k Mercedes. It's a goofy world.

Rafael

(Am I allowed to post screen shots of Ebay? I'll remove them if they are not kosher)

Screenshot_20200520-144140_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20200520-144339_eBay.jpg

I too wonder if that's a price a woodworker would pay?
    Surely these prices are for collectors, if there is such a thing as waterstone collectors.

The mystique associated with some of these is untestable... only those with a sufficiently advanced technique could get the best results.

PM V-11 or Carpenter XHP takes the Alchemist out of the loop using slightly more affordable abrasives.

I've always thought they were only used on razors.

When I read reviews from the razor and knife guys, I get the impression they don't have a clue as to what they are dealing with, they rarely bother to investigate the nature of the stones they're testing. The focus is on their feelings about the edge they get, an "i don't know what" that each reviewer conjures that makes an stone special.

First I would not buy a JNat off eBay. Instead I would go to a seller that had a reputation and had a know history. Working JNats, ones not collector grade, are still reasonable. The biggest problem with buying JNats is unless you have a dealer that will help you you can end up kissing a lot of frogs.

ken

That’s insanity. I have a bit of a Jnat habit, I like to buy different stones to try them. When I accumulate more than I can reasonably use, I sell some. It’s (almost) self perpetuating. That said I RARELY ever pay more than $200 for a stone.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

There is, and always has been, a segment of the population that takes an inordinate pride in owning material goods that are unaffordable to the masses. One could draw multiple conclusions about those folks, most of which may not be flattering.

Left click my name for homepage link.

*Flattening* neither.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    There is, and always has been, a segment of the population that takes an inordinate pride in owning material goods that are unaffordable to the masses. One could draw multiple conclusions about those folks, most of which may not be flattering.
    John,
    That is so true and so well said that I've saved it to a file for later use (attributed to you, of course).
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    If they do, they certainly aren’t public about it. This is similar to driving on the highway in which the person faster than yourself is a maniac and the one slower is too careful. We all are owners of things that others would choose not to afford. One might moralize that, buy really it’s those folks as you mention that keep dealers busy and make this venture profitable for them and often enough are there to help one out with a purchase during hard times.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I've always been of the frame of mind of thriftyness when it comes to woodworking, yet in the pursuit of an affluent customer to pay well for a well made piece of work. I guess to each his/her own, get off on your 10k pounds infill plane, it went well for the maker I suppose. It's ridiculous at the same time.

Blog Entries
    My finest water stone is a Norton 8000. It is able to put an edge on steel capable of smoothly shaving hair from my arm. Often has my heart skipped a beat or two dreaming of what could be done with a finer, higher priced stone.

In the last few years better Arkansas stones have been purchased. Amazing how with these ancient geological relics are also able to produce an edge capable of shaving arm hair.

My lust for finer stones has waned a bit. There seems to be no promise a finer stone can make to justify such a purchase for my shop.

For thousands of dollars, imo, that stone would have to be darn near magical in its abilities at working an edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    We all are owners of things that others would choose not to afford.
    True, Brian, but you have ignored or avoided the qualifying phrase in my post - “a segment of the population that takes an inordinate pride...”. It is the “inordinate pride” that is concerning to me. You may have differing opinions.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I often find things interesting to investigate. The price of tool is what it is worth to the user. I have often thought “why is that tool so expensive”. Sometimes I just want to know if the tool would be of value to me or if in my view I’m satisfied with what I have. If my inquisitive mind gets the better of me I search out someone who has the tool and go see for myself. I have purchased tools that I have at first thought “no way would I pay that price”. In the mean time I don’t question the buyers of such tools. After seeing the tool in use I many times decide that it is not for me because I can do the work equally or better with what I have.