Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection $1200 budget - want expandable

I think I'm leaning toward pushing my budget on this so I can get a ClearVue. Seems like it's worth it to me.

Man, you guys are way overcomplicating things here. Everything you say your running is small demand. You just gotta ask yourself, do you want a cheap roll around dust collection, or should you build (for 1200 you could) a stationary dust collector with duct work ran to where you need. You did say youre in a garage, so that's a small space. No biggie. Next, I think you should consider a sound deadening box around the collector and motor...Nothing better than a quieter shop! - just my two cents

I think the dust collector *is* the primary dust control method in the shop. An additional air cleaner can also help but if you keep as much dust out of the air in the first place (at the source...the tool) there will be less dust in the air to clean up. I have my ClearVue cyclone in a closet enclosure I built in the corner of the garage. It helps muffle the sound quite a bit, and I keep all my clamps in there as well. I also recommend a particle counter...so you can tell how effective your system is.

SB

If the budget might go up , also look at the Oneida V- systems . Great machines . Also , you can't go wrong with ClearVue . If you can afford to do it right the first time , it's the smart thing to do . So many here , including myself , have chased it for too long , and spent as much or more in the long run . Collection at the source is the best thing to do , which means likely modifying 4" to 6" ports on some tools , and getting creative to improve all you can .

Or, you could get a setup like this one that I built....LOL0520201628_HDR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brendan chatt View Post
    I also love how Grizzly uses affirm so you can pay off over time, so given the comments, I am thinking about this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0441
    What height can your shop accommodate? That grizzly is quite tall. I think the clearvue or oneida cyclones can just barely fit with 8' if you use a short collection barrel.
    (ceiling height is one of the requirements for the tall cyclones that provide good separation -- the short cyclones have historically not separated as well, so more dust ends up in the filters)

Matt

Thank you. Yeah, we're going to install a mini split. That's a big reason I initially wanted an air filtration unit. I guess the question is, how much AC do you loose? AC will be needed a lot of the year here in FL. When I think about it, the better the airflow, the more AC I'm throwing away.
    ALL OF IT ! All of the collectors you've noted will displace the air in your garage within five to twelve minutes of run time.

Venting outside sounds great. If you have and HVAC for the shop , it's a non-starter. If you can see your neighbor's house, it's a non-starter. Forget about it unless you live on acerage and get rid of the mini split.

I’m definitely tempted to go big. However, I’m not opposed to getting a system I can grow into for a couple years, but ultimately replace. My church has a little shop that could use my old system, or I could sell it.
    I didn’t know the dust collector could also do air filtration, I could then shift my air filter budget to a collector that can do both! I guess that would put me at about 2k
    You've got to do some soul searching and answer whether you want to go big, or want to sell your entry level system in the future. There is no "upgrading" to a multiple pipe system in the future with a new $1200 collector. Just put that out of your mind right now. It ain't gonna happen. With a 1.5 h.p motor and small impeller, they just can't move enough air.

Your decision point is really whether you want to stay @ 1200bucks and use a single hose to connect tools when you use them, or get something big enough to run a ducting system now or in the future. The former can be accomplished near your budget. The latter will require more money or you'll have to find a used deal on a big cyclone. It's that simple at the end of the day.

And forget using the collector as an air filter. Quick.

The best advice you've gotten so far is consider the Oneida mini gorilla if you want to go portable and in budget. Don't get swayed by the hype from other portable cyclones - especially laguna. Their designs are faulty and they're not as efficient as a result. The grizzly you mention is a compelling unit close to your price range. The clearvue is the most future proof for only a grand more in budget, especially with the bigger upgraded impeller.

Also , do not under estimate the cost that hoses, ducting, fittings, straps and hardware will add to any collector you go with. These easily add a couple hundred dollars to the bottom line.

Wow, that is quite the setup! Not quite what I have in my small 1.5-car garage...

I have the Oneida Mini Gorilla that Jim mentioned. I have a two car garage shop in which the SUV abides overnight.

All of my machines besides the wood lathe are on mobile bases, and are "parked" in the 2nd half of the garage. Individual machines (usually up to 2 or three at a time) are rolled out into the SUV half of the garage for use, but depending on what I'm doing, they are not always in the same location when I use them. Therefore a fixed dust collector with fixed ducting and still long flex hoses really does not make sense for me.

Oneida and Clear Vue collectors use long-cone cyclones, which are much more efficient at separating the dust and keeping your filter clean. Short, stubby cyclones are not nearly as efficient, and let more dust through to your filter, clogging it more quickly. Other vendors are starting to use longer cone cyclones on some machines. The OMG filter is HEPA, MERV 16 rated, about the best you can get. A cyclone DC that is rated "0.2 - 2 micron" is just a 2 micron filter. Any filter will catch an occasional 0.2 micron particle! The OMG filtration is rated at 99.97% @ 0.3 microns, HEPA, MERV 16.

Importantly to me, both Oneida and ClearVue manufacture their DCs in the USA.

The OMG with a 10' long, 5" diameter flex hose, can handle any of my machines, one at a time (that's all I can run anyway!).

I am extremely pleased with the OMG, because it is very effective and flexible, and suits my shop best. I had budget for a bigger, more powerful DC, but the OMG does all I will likely ever need it to do very well. I've had zero problems receiving, assembling and using it.

If you have plans for a larger, dedicated shop, with fixed equipment locations & ducting, and a bigger DC, then the larger, stationary DC, with a longer 5" or 6" flex hose may suit you better now, by being able to migrate to that bigger shop.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by brendan chatt View Post
    I also love how Grizzly uses affirm so you can pay off over time, so given the comments, I am thinking about this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0441
    If you go this route you likely will never need to upgrade unless you move to a much bigger shop with many more tools. I have it's 5HP bigger brother the G0442 and I'm extremely satisfied. I'm running an 8" main with 6" branches and only step down to 5" or 4" at the machine. The G0441 will more than handle the machines you ave listed. There's some pics of my system in this current thread https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....collector-Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images