Thread: Clark deep hollowing system

Clark deep hollowing system

Any opinions from users of this rig as compared to other captured hollowing systems? This looks intriguing, stout and maneuverable. I currently use a homemade snake type hollower with a JT Transformer boring bar but am looking for something more substantial.

https://www.theokspindoctor.com/Clar...tem-s/1848.htm

In have a friend that has that system and he likes it. The only complaint was he wished he bought the video system with it as it was sometimes hard to see the laser based where you are positioned.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I've looked at it on Youtube and on his website. It looks like a good system, but I have a real tough time, from his website, trying to figure out what you actually get is the package and how much extra I'd need to spend to get end up with the system I want.

I wish he had a "What's in the box, along with photos" on each page.

I haven't found a video that also may help in this regard.

It looks like he's right there, price wise, with the Lyle Jamieson system, but I know exactly what I'm getting with the LJ system, whereas, with the Clark, I don't know if I'm going to be spending quite a bit more al a carte.

I have the system and the steady rest and they have worked well for me.

I have the system and i love it. It is my go to for most things. Very well made and works like a dream. I agree about the website. They desperately need to have someone re-do their site. It does not do their tools justice.

I researched my way to this system, too and agree with Chris. Website is shite, but I like the mechanism design. Just can't tell any details about it.

Same thoughts on the website. I studied it carefully and eventually thought I came to understand it. Seems like a really well made system that is priced pretty well for its heft. My concern is how to store it when not in use. Looks pretty big. Anyhow, not buying until I move, which is a couple years away. Then I'll probably try to call to get questions answered. Those that have it, it would nice to see photos of it, in-use or otherwise.

I wound up buying the system and have used it fairly extensively. It is a little cumbersome to set up but works well and with the 1 1/4" bar and available "fulcrum" upgrades is suited for deep hollowing. Once set up it is quite maneuverable. I think for hollowing less than 12" deep Trent Bosch's setup would be excellent and an easier setup as it just drops into the banjo.

The Clark has a heavy guide fixture which I hang on pegs on the wall and a heavy bar with a 3/4" socket to accept a wide variety of tools and smaller boring bars, which I also hang on pegs. I have a 30" bar and an 18" extension which I have not yet needed. I mainly use Lyle Jamieson's 3/4" bar and hollowing tools for hollowing up to 12" deep and I have a Jamieson bar cut down to 6" for deeper work. I bought Clark's video system which has a very solid support and is much better than the Monster laser setup I used before. The bar is tail-heavy and does require the "optional" trapped tool rest so that you are not supporting the bar end all the time. The bar seems designed to be operated from the far end but I find it easier and more sensitive to guide the tool from just behind the tool rest.

I did have to wait about 6 months after ordering to get my rig as Keith was having some medical problems and moving his shop in the depths of Covid time. He was apologetic, but communication wasn't great. Keith is a practicing M.D. with some part-time assistance so he has other irons in the fire. The assembly quality had a couple of loose ends (burrs, out of square cuts) but the important machining and design were very solid.

Here's a photo of my turning area. You can see the Clark fixture down low on the left, the boring bar to the right of the window and the tool rest in the center just above the lathe bed.

DSC_0794.jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-04-2022 at 10:46 PM.