Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumber prices in your area?

Lumber prices in your area?

Just curious what everybody is paying for hardwoods in your area?

4/4 FAS Walnut? White Oak? Maple?

Seems like maple is getting very high in price so far this year.

How about starting with telling us what "your area" is and what you're paying? 4/4hard maple retail is about $4.75/bf here.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 05-19-2020 at 3:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    How about starting with telling us what "your area" is and what you're paying?
    Be happy too I was more concerned with other areas hence my post.

I'm in FL near Daytona. Walnut is around $8-11. SM is $4-5 (going up+). White oak is $5-6.

Where are you at John?

Bay Area: I just asked about 8/4 maple (sorry, I didn't ask about 4/4): $8.89 per bf. This is from a highly reputable dealer who only sells the best quality. In happier times, he'd let you work through the stack to pick the board you want, but right now it's curbside only.

Havent price up white oak in a long long time. I dont even know if ive seen a price list for flat sawn stuff. Most sawyers only cut it quartered. In that case, KD 8/4 is in the $6-7 bdft range. Small lots select and better 8/4 maple is usually around $3.85 bd, KD. Full packs of walnut started getting to be too expensive for me, and i now have another smaller source that kiln dries and delivers for about $3.25 a bdft for 8/4 walnut. This isnt FAS grade though. Id put it closer to select/better with the worst being 1com. Still, for that price, it works very well for me. For reference, full packs(700+/- bdft) of KD 8/4 walnut were $7.90 a bdft for select/better, and about $9+ for FAS. 1,000 bdft is a decent quantity, but freaking $9,000 plus tax? No way.

Cherry select/better to FAS is about $4-4.50 for me in small lots. Sapele is roughly the same price, oddly enough. I think i bought a full pack of FAS Sapele last year for under $4 a bdt. This is mostly 6/4-8/4 stuff for all species. I rarely work with 4/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post

Where are you at John?
    Central MA -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

Hello Bob
    I noticed your in my neck of the woods. I live in the East Bat, work in San Ramon. I have been looking for a good reputable dealer and was wondering if you could share who you get your lumber from?

Thank you
    Jeff

I've only bought maple and cherry recently. The maple was $3 and the cherry $3.50. Both were skip planned and defects where not counted in the bd ft (but a few were present). Another supplier that was more convenient wanted $10 for cherry. It was planned but I left there quickly. I find I have to spend some time looking and be willing to drive an hour or two to get a decent price. I buy 100 bd ft or less, I have limited storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Finazzo View Post
    Hello Bob
    I noticed your in my neck of the woods. I live in the East Bat, work in San Ramon. I have been looking for a good reputable dealer and was wondering if you could share who you get your lumber from?

Thank you
    Jeff
    Jeff, since I've stated a price from my guy, I'd prefer not to identify him on the open forum out of respect for his business. I can send you a private message, but to receive them I believe you might need to be a contributor at $6 per year. It's a great resource and pretty inexpensive, I'd say.

Eye-opening to see under $4 a bf for maple. Hard maple, one of the soft maples, birdseye, curly, figured? I'll need to double-check the $9 quote I got over the phone from the assistant.

Central Ohio here. Walnut is around $6-7, and maple and white oak are pretty consistent around $4. It can vary though, the lower cost sawmill near me can go from slim pickings to having the funkiest ambrosia maple in the span of a week. There's a couple others not as close that I can pay a slight premium ($0.25-$1) to know that when I show up I'll leave with as many pretty boards as it'll take for a project.

Blog Entries
    The local retail yard has maple @ 3.45 soft, 3.85 hard.
    Picked up a bunch of red for 1.70, and a similar amount of slight curly for 2.20.

Slight curly maple was 2.25 last year

My $3 maple was hard. Went into a crib for my latest grandson. Unfortunately it got painted at the insistance of my daughter in law.

In Mountain City, TN: (all sq ft)
    Curly maple $2.60
    Walnut $6.00
    Ambrosia maple $ 1.60
    White oak $2.05
    Hard maple $.75 - 2.00
    Cherry $1.80
    Poplar $1.25

I prefer to buy from Yoder lumber, have been very happy with them
    http://www.yoderlumber.com/images/pd...rpricelist.pdf
    also monthly specials
    http://www.yoderlumber.com/images/pd...lyspecials.pdf