Thread: Who has a turning buddy that lives close by?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who has a turning buddy that lives close by?

I have only been to a few local (Olympia Wa) AAW meetings, and joined the chapter. I have only been to one person's house to help them with a reeves drive problem. With this crazy virus and the fact that I live in a area with a population of hermits; I have no turning buddies to speak of.....so I prowl the forums looking around to keep me motivated not to quit. Thanks for all the posts!
    Where did I put those band aids?

Sad to say, but we've all become a population of hermits. At least you have beautiful scenery to look at.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by David Dockstader View Post
    Sad to say, but we've all become a population of hermits. At least you have beautiful scenery to look at.
    Yes, hermits. I have visited turning buddies and have had some come here to pick up wood or cut up logs on the sawmill. But we wore masks and stayed a safe distance apart. I have several people waiting for shop visits, a bandsaw class, and turning lessons but that's going to have to wait - hard to do any of those right without getting close.

Hey, Dueane, how about some Facetime-ing with a turning buddy? They could live across the country! In fact, that gives me an idea of some interaction with a local guy who has been waiting to come and learn how to solve a problem that's been frustrating him.

JKJ

That's got merit John. There's a few folks on the Penturner's forum that have been doing some demo's and coffee chats lately--it's really pretty cool. I'm not at a level to host, but i have been doing 4-10 virtual meetings/week for work. My intent is to work for a few more years, but after the last 3 months...most of that may be from home.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    That's got merit John. There's a few folks on the Penturner's forum that have been doing some demo's and coffee chats lately--it's really pretty cool. I'm not at a level to host, but i have been doing 4-10 virtual meetings/week for work. My intent is to work for a few more years, but after the last 3 months...most of that may be from home.
    earl
    The more I think of it, the more I'd like to try it. Not a group meeting, which Zoom does well (our turning club meeting this evening meeting had 30+ members, show and tell, and a video demo), but one-on-one instruction. I've done a lot of club demos but I REALLY like the one-on-one!

I don't know much about Facetime except we use it to visit with grandsons that we can't see, even though they live just 30 minutes away.

JKJ

John, this is a great idea and I see no reason that it wouldn't work well especially if there was that one little detail someone wanted explained.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The more I think of it, the more I'd like to try it. Not a group meeting, which Zoom does well (our turning club meeting this evening meeting had 30+ members, show and tell, and a video demo), but one-on-one instruction. I've done a lot of club demos but I REALLY like the one-on-one!

I don't know much about Facetime except we use it to visit with grandsons that we can't see, even though they live just 30 minutes away.

JKJ
    Where do you reside?
    Where did I put those band aids?

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Where do you reside?
    I live is East TN, out in the countryside, a bit north of Knoxville.

I worked with a turner a little yesterday, with N95 masks. Fortunately, I have some and other respirators.

kristina_respirator.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 06-01-2020 at 7:16 PM. Reason: added photo

David, Become? Man I already was. Sure I like to get out and about occasionally but my shop is my happy place and self isolation has really had a minimal effect on me . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .