Thread: Recent Hollow Form

Recent Hollow Form

So with all the extra time I have had a chance to turn few items. I'm new to turning and especially to hollowing. This is a maple hollow form, about 9" in diameter, with a walnut top.

I have never tried hollowing this shape and found it to be much more challenging than the 2 other hollow forms I've done (more vertical forms). The base is a little thicker than the top. It was hollowed with the D-way hollower. Finish is Watco Danish Oil.

I'm not sure I love the finial.....it seems a little chunky at the bottom and I've considered re-turning it but haven't decided yet.
    Comments/critique are welcome.

Thanks,
    Tom

IMG_3605.jpg

If you're new to turning, then you've climbed the learning curve awfully fast. Nice work. And thanks for posting it.

I love the finial. I wouldn't change it a bit. If I had any critique, it's that it is bit long and therefore looks/isfragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    If you're new to turning, then you've climbed the learning curve awfully fast. Nice work. And thanks for posting it.
    Thanks Dave...I guess I've been turning for about 3 years, but until this year only played around once every couple months. Now I'm able to spend a couple evenings a month and I've learned a lot this year but still have a long way to go. As I said, this hollow form is a little bottom heavy and while it may look okay, it definitely feels off. But the wood was free and I had fun turning, so no complaints here. Thanks for commenting.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Thanks Dave...I guess I've been turning for about 3 years, but until this year only played around once every couple months. Now I'm able to spend a couple evenings a month and I've learned a lot this year but still have a long way to go. As I said, this hollow form is a little bottom heavy and while it may look okay, it definitely feels off. But the wood was free and I had fun turning, so no complaints here. Thanks for commenting.

Tom
    The finial is interesting - it looks kind of like a bell. I think you should be proud of it!

I don't think it is too tall, but the long cylinder does direct the eye up quickly. If making another similar you might consider adding a slight swelling or some other detail part way up to catch the eye.

One recommendation I've heard from several sources is to make a series of similar things, each with some variation. Then stand back and compare them and discover what you like more and less.

As for the weight, I personally like things that are a little bottom heavy. We are often encouraged to make things thinner and thinner as a show of skill but without a little mass they sometimes feel cheaper to me, and certainly less stable. Richard Raffan encouraged people to turn some things like bowl variations with different wall and base thicknesses, turn and feel them in the hand to see what felt best, then for an education [gasp!] cut them in half and evaluate the shape. This is really hard to do on a nice piece!

The last time I did that was with a handbell ornament to see and show others the wall shape (and to show how I put them together with several pieces.)

bells_cutaway_IMG_5169.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Richard Raffan encouraged people to turn some things like bowl variations with different wall and base thicknesses, turn and feel them in the hand to see what felt best, then for an education [gasp!] cut them in half and evaluate the shape. This is really hard to do on a nice piece!

The last time I did that was with a handbell ornament to see and show others the wall shape (and to show how I put them together with several pieces.)

bells_cutaway_IMG_5169.jpg

JKJ
    Thanks John. Yikes....I don’t get enough time turning to make many pieces and even though it may be educational, I can’t imagine cutting a piece in half yet....maybe someday though!

Tom