Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driver bit organizer (portable)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    I got it at Amazon, it is:

Festool 203815 Centrotec Bit Set in Mini Systainer
    Note that the bits in this set are for the Festool Centrotec system and require an adapter to work with a non-Festool drill/driver. That said, the set is excellent and comprehensive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I very much dislike organizers with little holes or slots or assigned spaces for everything. Their idea of everything never fits mine. No space to add something new.

For bits I use the same type of handled case with adjustable dividers. I have compartments for phillips, torx, etc, and some wider compartments for the associated holders and extensions. Loose and blocks of specialty bits go into a larger compartment. These are the same cases I use for sheet metal screws, lag screws, bolts, etc. I didn't take a photo of the one full of bits but it's the same as these. They are strong, portable, plenty of room, stack nicely, and cost about $11 in the tool section of Walmart. II use about a dozen of these, keep them in the shop, and carry them around the farm or too the house as needed.

parts_sheetmetal_screws.jpg parts_stacked_boxes.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Seemed like this would be a simple thing.. just need an empty case with empty slots, etc to store bits. Bosch almost does this. They sell an empty case, but they don't sell empty slots to hold your bits. As with most of you, I have a million billion bits already and don't need to buy more.

Just looking for a portable case...

Has anyone found something? Seems to be a non profitable thing to make because there's nothing out there that I can see.

cheers,

3. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Note that the bits in this set are for the Festool Centrotec system and require an adapter to work with a non-Festool drill/driver. That said, the set is excellent and comprehensive.
    Ha, I forgot there are actually people still using non-Festool drills .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Ha, I forgot there are actually people still using non-Festool drills .
    A builder/remodeler friend in Italy says "Festool, only Festool". He has three rows of shelving units fuil of Festools, some are specialty tools I've never heard of or seen advertised, maybe not available here? He said he mostly buys them on sale which apparently happens in Italy. This is half of one isle. All are 220v, of course.

Festools_IMG_4949.jpg

He likes the quality and the ease of transporting to a job.

Me, I have one Festool plunge router I mortgaged the house to buy.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Haha. Sigh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    i use one of these.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-...9N13/307699146

keep all the torx in one bin, ph2 in a bin, flats in a bin, etc. I like it better than one with a lot of wasted space for the little holders, that they either fall out of or they are impossible to put into or take out of.
    depot usually has a nice selection in the store of small bins and such. hard to find online.
    This might be the one.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    This might be the one.

Thanks.
    I was wondering what you were looking for. Good idea. Along these lines, visit your local fishing store. Plano makes these tackle boxes, and some of the nicer ones are waterproof, which may be good if you get rained on at the jobsite. The nice ones are not cheap though. This beats all of those little boxes rattling around in the bottom of my rolling tool chest. That I can never find until I unload all the junk.

I bought one of these:

Makita A-98348 50-Piece ImpactX Driver Bit Set

For $20 you get the bits and the case. With any case, the trick is trying to get the bits to hold securely enough not to roll around, but loose enough to be able to release quickly.

These bits (I have 2 sets) tend to be on the 'roll around' side. But all in all it's pretty good.

I especially like the spine, which holds longer bits or an extension.

I also use those tackle box type organizers. Just enough compartments to store by length and type without over engineering things. Trying to set up, what I call, Display Cases is just impractical. I even removed the lids and use them as drawer organizers in the shop.

I have seen plastic boxes and inserts to hold ammunition with lots of little holes and a nice lid. Maybe something there to start with. If the holes are too deep maybe fill each one with a small block of wood or a blob of caulk. If you know ammunition calipers that would fit please let us know.
    Bill D

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-50-Roun.../dp/B07DJ584GG

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I bought one of these:

Makita A-98348 50-Piece ImpactX Driver Bit Set

For $20 you get the bits and the case. With any case, the trick is trying to get the bits to hold securely enough not to roll around, but loose enough to be able to release quickly.

These bits (I have 2 sets) tend to be on the 'roll around' side. But all in all it's pretty good.

I especially like the spine, which holds longer bits or an extension.
    I did something similar. I bought a set of bits and they came with a case. I don't remember who made it, it was some off brand. But I don't use them on a regular basis - and mostly just the phillips and some of the square drives.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

With all the science in the news I see a lot of plastic racks that hold test tubes or centrifuge tubes that might be workable.
    Bill D.

https://www.amazon.com/KINNOSE-96-We...rd_i=393411011
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-22-2020 at 12:45 AM.

How many bits are you guys looking to carry/store/organize? Ive seen a few smaller options out there, but Im curious what every thinks would be a good amount to be able to keep in such a container. 10? 30? 50?
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 05-22-2020 at 1:39 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    How many bits are you guys looking to carry/store/organize? Ive seen a few smaller options out there, but Im curious what every thinks would be a good amount to be able to keep in such a container. 10? 30? 50?
    I have not yet gone out and bought one, but I was thinking 5 or 6 compartment Plano box. P#2/T25/flat magnetic bits and P#2 and T25 impact driver bits. If you get a 6 compartment maybe for the mag driver? That's what I'm thinking..... Thoughts?
    Stuck at home with all of these CV19 stay at home rules.... Finally stores are opening.
    Oh, a square drive...... Almost forgot about that. Don't use that one too much. I like the P#2 and T25.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have not yet gone out and bought one, but I was thinking 5 or 6 compartment Plano box. P#2/T25/flat magnetic bits and P#2 and T25 impact driver bits. If you get a 6 compartment maybe for the mag driver? That's what I'm thinking..... Thoughts?
    Stuck at home with all of these CV19 stay at home rules.... Finally stores are opening.
    Oh, a square drive...... Almost forgot about that. Don't use that one too much. I like the P#2 and T25.
    Ah, see I was thinking you guys were looking for something more like this type:
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!