Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driver bit organizer (portable)

Robertson in red, Phillips in purple, torx in tan, allen-hex in a awful color of your choice.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Robertson in red, Phillips in purple, torx in tan, allen-hex in a awful color of your choice.
    Bill D
    The hell you say? They got colors assigned to kibbles n bits out there in Mo-Town?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Honestly, if one switches fastener types around a lot, color coded driver bits is a pretty good idea...I don't have that issue since 90% of what I use is Robertson/Square drive, but that's not going to be the same for everyone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Ah, see I was thinking you guys were looking for something more like this type:
    i would need one of those boxes for each style. ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    The hell you say? They got colors assigned to kibbles n bits out there in Mo-Town?

The title says organizer. Not a box to hold a mixture in random order.
    Here Kibbles and Bits are four distinct colors. Are they all the same in your region. I know best foods and hellman's mayonnaise name depends on location. Kind of like Harbor freight changing the brand name after word gets around not to buy X brand tools since they are too cheap.
    Bill D.
    https://www.schemecolor.com/kibbles-...ogo-colors.php

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    i would need one of those boxes for each style. ha.

Nice! Where did you get it? I've got a red one that looks very similar - purchased it over 25 years ago. It also has a small ratchet with magnetic insert.
    David

I’ve had several bit organizers that never were that handy to get at including the Festool one. I just made this one that sits on my mobile workstation. I can just carry it to a different location if needed.

8738775C-EB59-4BDA-A023-DCE771F1F105.jpg

57C81D91-4EAA-465A-B164-A204CF2B23A9.jpg

I tried the plastic tackle/storage boxes with adjustable compartments. Worked pretty good until you dropped or tipped it over with the lid open. Now I use pill bottles. There're cheap, fit in your pocket and you tend to pull out a bit and twist the lid back on. Keep them upside down of laying on their side a a small tool box so you can see what is in them without having to pull them out of the box.

Lots of great recommendations and useful tactics on this thread. Personally I like the newer Dewalt cases that can lock together, I keep about 3 general use cases stocked, with one drill case, and one “specialty” (ie Vix, countersink, Brad etc) case. These can lock to each other so with one General use, one drill bit case, and one specially I’m covered. Because I’m “organizationally challenged” I also have a “mothership box” in the basement which is large and organized by size and bit type. When things get a lil scrambled I zen out and redistribute bits to cases evenly.

I have friends who SWEAR by the pill bottle method, and it works for them, I tried it and I like this method better. You can get the dewalt cases with bits for $20 ea normally and I’ve gotten them as low as $7 w bits. I like Dewalt for Phillips and t20-25-30 so it’s worth it to me. Also like SOME of those quick change extensions they have.

Before trying pill bottle and current method I had a large organizer that never seemed to have that 1 bit in it when I needed it. Now I know if I don’t have it, it’s in one of four other boxes/organizers