Thread: Benchdog Prolift: Need Insert Rings

Benchdog Prolift: Need Insert Rings

Hello,
    I have a Benchdog Prolift that's about 15 years old...Not sure which model, but the diameter of the center that holds the insert rings is 4.25 inches. I realize that Benchdog is not in business, and I can't find a source for a set of insert rings. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?
    Thanks much,
    Izzy Charo

What is it? something for a lathe chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    What is it? something for a lathe chuck?
    Router Lift.

BenchDog products and brand name were acquired by Rockler and they do still make products using that brand. Have you tried checking out their insert offerings or contacting them to see what they might have thats compatible?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a BenchDog ProLift from years back. Still use it quite often. Several years ago I got someone(don't remember who) to cut me 6-8 circles from UMHW(?) , a slick material, to exact dimensions(diameter and thickness) on their CNC or laser(not sure which). When I got them, I marked and drilled out two holes for the screws that hold them down and then raised the appropriate router bit up through them to get exact size I wanted to have a zero clearance opening. They have worked great and overall was not much different than buying the ones from BenchDog at the time. The key is finding someone with some down time to do them inexpensively. A quick google search shows that their are some manufacturers of this type material that will custom cut it for you.
    Jim

I made a set out of ½” Lexan to compliment the steel OEM rings. If you can find someone with a metal working lathe, they are not difficult to make and took about an hour, IIRC. You will need close diameter & depth measurements. I can post the dimensions of mine but can’t comment on the interchangeability.
    FWIW, my Benchdog lift is ~ 13 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-18-2020 at 2:02 PM. Reason: added info
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If your Prolift is like mine the diameter of the insert ring is 4-3/8". Rockler still offers the cheap, molded POS plastic rings that require shimming to flush with the top of the plate. As mentioned above, if you can make your own your probably better off. The nice, metal insert rings for the BD stand-alone router plate don't work.

https://www.rockler.com/insert-with-1-1-2-opening

The cheapness of the insert rings has always baffled me for an otherwise quality lift.

Edit: noticed the insert rings pictured in the post above have two screws holding the ring in, while the lift I have has the 3-hole insert as in the Rockler link. Between the ring size and the holding screws the PL I have may be different.
    Last edited by Sanford Imhoff; 05-18-2020 at 1:54 PM.

If you make your own, I don't see why you'd need plastic. I'd use wood -- that's what I use for inserts on my table saw and my bandsaw. For your router table, I'd go with baltic birch plywood. For me, wood is a nice familiar material, and I have lots of experience shaping it. Plastic, not so much.

Jamie, I never said it needed to be plastic. The machining properties and density of plastic makes is easier to chuck into a conventional lathe chuck, and it will hold its dimensions. Forever.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jamie, I never said it needed to be plastic..
    True, but you also said "if you can find somebody with a metal lathe.." Everybody on this forum has experience and tools for shaping wood, and as you observe, not many of us have a metal lathe.