Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw shoot out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Table saw shoot out

Look for a deciding vote on some table saw options. Let me just say this now, none of them are a SawStop. I'd love to get one, I hopefully will someday, but that day is not coming anytime soon. That being said, the saws im looking at are in the $1200 range. Here are the ones I'm looking at.

- Laguna Fusion F2
    - Jet ProShop II
    - Grizzly G0899

All are 1.75 HP motors except for the grizzly is a 2hp. All prewired at 115v but can be wired 230v. I'm also open to other recommendations that fall within that range with at least a 36" fence.

Any thoughts??

No experience with the Laguna or Jet saws, but my older Grizzly table saw has been a wonderful tool to own. It arrived in good condition 15 ish years ago and has never needed any type of repairs. Customer service and repair parts for other Grizzly items I own has always been good to outstanding.

Grizzly all day long!! I've got one of their cabinet saws - great quality, great price, and excellent customer service.
    David

I would check Craigslist in your area. I see Delta, Powermatic, and Oliver cabinet saws below $1,000, especially now, where people are selling stuff to raise money during this virus. I bought some stuff yesterday and while I felt guilty that I was taking advantage of them, they were quite eager to sell stuff at incredible bargain rates.
    Regards,

Tom

Geez...for the $ your willing to spend, I'll bet you could easily find a nice 3hp, name brand table saw, no problem. Delta, Powermatic, Jet, I've seen them all for $1K and under, in really nice shape. I'd go for hobbyist owners and stay away from shop-owned. Most hobby owners keep their equipment in good shape and rarely abuse them. Later, you can always move up to that SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I would check Craigslist in your area. I see Delta, Powermatic, and Oliver cabinet saws below $1,000...
    This. Look for a better quality saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This. Look for a better quality saw.

"Better quality" is sometimes "in the eye of the beholder".

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    "Better quality" is sometimes "in the eye of the beholder".
    Grizzly is at best a third tier machine. Some are OK with that. Some are OK with even worse than that.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You know what they say about opinions. Everybody's got one - etc. etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Grizzly is at best a third tier machine. Some are OK with that. Some are OK with even worse than that.
    Wow, that is quite a slap to those of us not running euro machines or old iron. Grizzly is a fine machine, I have had a G1023 for 22 years, still running strong and accurate. What more do you want Andy? I did add an HTH fence and a Shark Guard. but the bones of the saw are fine.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 05-19-2020 at 7:40 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

As Thomas suggested I too would recommend that you go the used route. If you take your time you'll find an absolutely great saw in your budget, one that would leave your list of new saws far behind. Likely one with a made in USA 3hp motor...

I use a 1.75hp PCS (SawStop). It was expensive but I was stupid enough to get my left middle finger into a dado stack due to kickback a couple weeks ago. I got a broken finger without a nail and with six stitches. With the saws you are looking at I would have a shorter finger. I have about 50 years experience and this is my first injury on a table saw. I bring all this up to say I am confident the difference in my medical bills will pay for my SawStop.

But everybody has a budget and if you don't do something stupid you can be very safe with these other saws. Your habits are what prevents injury, the SawStop just reduces the severity.

All my 50 years experience is with 120V saws. I have ripped hardwood 3+ inches deep plenty of times. My PCS DEMANDS a thin kerf blade for this. I suspect the saws you are looking at will be the same. With a Freud 24 tooth thin kerf blade the feed rate can even be pretty normal. I'm sure a 3hp saw would be nice but it is not necessary.

Used saws may be a better deal but I would not get one without a riving knife. They help prevent kickback (but can't be used when cutting dados).

I have a Grizzly 1023 and do not regret the choice. For me it was the best saw that was in my budget and a great value. I can’t vouch for the other brands you are considering since I have never used their table saws. Grizzly’s customer service has also been excellent.
    If, however, you can swing any 1023 you can upgrade an extension table or most other options at a later date. This would give you a heavy duty cabinet saw with a 3hp motor. The price for “replacements parts” is on the Grizzly website. Obviously, there are others saw options I am just suggesting this a possible alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfo Picanco View Post
    Look for a deciding vote on some table saw options. Let me just say this now, none of them are a SawStop. I'd love to get one, I hopefully will someday, but that day is not coming anytime soon. That being said, the saws im looking at are in the $1200 range. Here are the ones I'm looking at.

- Laguna Fusion F2
    - Jet ProShop II
    - Grizzly G0899

All are 1.75 HP motors except for the grizzly is a 2hp. All prewired at 115v but can be wired 230v. I'm also open to other recommendations that fall within that range with at least a 36" fence.

Any thoughts??
    Hi Dolfo, I presume you are in the US?

Your budget is high enough that you should be able to find a used General, Delta or Powermatic cabinet saw in good shape.

I would definitely go with one of those over the choices you've indicated as they're much better machines.

Cabinet saws can also have a smaller footprint than contractor type saws as they don't have the motor sticking out the rear of the saw.

Regards, Rod.

I have the Jet ProShop 30-inch with cast iron wings, I purchased ~ 10 years ago.

The things I dislike with mine which are probably redesigned by now: the kerf splitter is stationary doesn't rise/lower with the trunion. The dust capture works, could be better designed for removal ( I'm pulling with a 650cfm fan).

Operationally, adjust-ability, accuracy are fine ... overall I would buy it again, but would opt for the 52-inch.