Thread: Last post???????

Last post???????

How come clicking on the "last page" doesn't bring you to the page of the last post? In the "Time for some levity" thread clicking on the last page doesn't bring me to the last post. Instead, I have to scroll through the listing of the posts to get to a "posts below last post" and even then sometimes I don't get to the last post. Why???

Jim

Blog Entries
    If you want to go to the last post of any topic page where the listing of all posts is located. Simply click on the little double arrowslastpost-right.png to the right of the post to go immediatley to the last post on the last page.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

To have the most recent posts displayed at the top of the list change the sort order:

Settings--> My Account--> General Settings --> Thread Display Options --> then pick "Linear newest first"

I believe the little arrows take you to the first unread recent message, useful when you want to pick up where you left off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you want to go to the last post of any topic page where the listing of all posts is located. Simply click on the little double arrowslastpost-right.png to the right of the post to go immediatley to the last post on the last page.
    Didn't work Lee. Still had to go to the "posts below last post"

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    Didn't work Lee. Still had to go to the "posts below last post"

Jim
    I don't understand. The double arrow icon takes me to the last post made, based on time. What does "posts below last post" mean? Do you mean other messages posted earlier but in a different branch of the thread tree? A long thread can become difficult to follow over time due to branching when someone posts a reply to a specific message and due to the way the forum limits post visibility in the thread tree.

You have several options on displaying the threads. Click "Settings" at top right of screen, then in the left panel choose My Settings, General Settings, and look at the Thread Display Options part way down the page. I like Hybrid but some prefer others such as Linear, Newest first. What you choose may depend on how often you check the forum and how much you care about following specific conversations in the thread, especially when people don't make good use of "Reply With Quote."

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't understand. The double arrow icon takes me to the last post made, based on time. What does "posts below last post" mean? Do you mean other messages posted earlier but in a different branch of the thread tree? A long thread can become difficult to follow over time due to branching when someone posts a reply to a specific message and due to the way the forum limits post visibility in the thread tree.

You have several options on displaying the threads. Click "Settings" at top right of screen, then in the left panel choose My Settings, General Settings, and look at the Thread Display Options part way down the page. I like Hybrid but some prefer others such as Linear, Newest first. What you choose may depend on how often you check the forum and how much you care about following specific conversations in the thread, especially when people don't make good use of "Reply With Quote."

JKJ
    When you open a thread, you get a window "Hybrid View". At the very bottom of that window is a message "more posts below......" that's what I have to click in order to get to the last post. Sometimes I have to do that a couple of times.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Colombo View Post
    When you open a thread, you get a window "Hybrid View". At the very bottom of that window is a message "more posts below......" that's what I have to click in order to get to the last post. Sometimes I have to do that a couple of times.

Jim
    Yes, if you don't use the little double arrow icon/button over on the right as Lee suggested.

last-post.jpg

If you click on that you should always see the contents of the most recent post displayed. You can scroll up in the thread tree and visually search to find that particular post which will be highlighted. I do this when needed to read the posts leading up to the most recent one to get the context.

But due to how many posts the forum is programmed to display, you will see often see some "More replies below current depth..." spread through long threads. But depending on the complexity of the tree, even clicking on the last "More replies..." link at the bottom of the page and scrolling down may not lead you to the most RECENT post, just the most recent post in that particular branch of the thread tree. All this makes following long and convoluted threads challenging to follow.

All this assumes you are using the Full version of SMC. I don't know what the Mobile version does.

Did you try the liner display mode? It can be set to show the most recent post at the top of the thread.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-19-2020 at 3:34 PM.