Thread: An afternoon at the Antique Center

An afternoon at the Antique Center

And, I had to keep moving, else they'd place a price tag on me. There is a place in the small town called Harmony, OH. There is an Antique Center called Heart of Ohio, corner of US 40, and I-70, just east of Springfield, OH. I think there are about 8 buildings, all connected into one HUGE store. If'n it be an Antique, you could find it in at least one of the aisles, and maybe several.

Had some Birthday Money to spend....made the trip with my son and two grandsons. Walked around for about 3 hours....they did have a Cafe, but it was closed, for now. You did have to wear a mask, while in the store. I was also using a cane, to help a sore knee. So, since I took my little camera along, this time.....maybe a few photos?
    I think this was one of the stalls I started looking through....though there was a higher priced one not far from the entrance..
    Birthday Rust Hunt. Heart of Ohio.JPG
    Then hiding in a corner..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, just hanging around.JPG
    That backsaw did have a mitre box...sitting on the floor..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, hiding on the floor.JPG
    Turn away from that..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, little bit of everything.JPG
    Hmmm, nothing here I need...
    Birthday Rust Hunt, nice display.JPG
    There is one brace missing from this display...
    Birthday Rust Hunts M-F #1950.JPG
    A Buck Rogers #1950 Brace came home with me, along with that #170 push drill..
    Birthday Runt Hunt, one vise.JPG
    Yes, it says $500...and if you didn't care for this vise...on the same table..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, 2 more vises.JPG
    There was a couple stalls that were nothing BUT Blacksmith's tools.. others were filled with OLD weapons, or uniforms. Furniture of all styles.
    There seems to be a rule, though....stay tuned to find out about that...

Ok, that "Rule"? IF things are inside a locked, glass case....expect a higher price ( have to pay for the case..)
    Birthday Rush Hunt, gold-plated.JPG
    And..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, next shelf.JPG
    When there is 3 digits after the $ sign, for a block plane...
    Birthday Rust Hunt, OUCH.JPG
    And a Stanley #4-1/2 ( red arrow) is $175, and the 5-1/4 beside it is $225.....NO, I did not buy any more block planes..
    Birthday Rust Hunt, don't ask.JPG
    This little Fillister was in the $300 range....
    Birthday Rust Hunt, too much.JPG
    Stanley #90, price tag said $95....
    Spent a lot of time, just walking through the aisles....stopped to talk to one of the stall's owners. And even spent some money in his stall...
    Birthday Rust Hunt, Sargent Jack plane.JPG
    Birthday Rust Hunt,Stanley No. 4,.JPG
    Plus a couple chisels. There was, in an earlier stall, a Fulton Jack plane .....with a badly broken handle..$45? The Sargent #414c I bought was the same price, and I even got a 10% discount!
    Birthday Rust Hunt, next stall.JPG
    Didn't need any of these 3 planes....Metallic had a badly cracked knob. Didn't care for the Stanley Gage.
    Wound up at the check-out counter.....a bit tired, a bit loaded down, basket full was getting heavy. Total for the afternoon? $98.03 counting sales tax. And..I still had enough to treat the boys out for supper!

So, if you happen to be in the area, plan on at least an hour of walking around in this place. Place is called: Heart of Ohio Antique Center. They do require that you wear a mask while in the store.
    Admission and parking is free.

Since I have several customers in Springfield, I've stopped their multiple times in the past. Can't recall if I ever bought anything: not because there is nothing to buy, but because I've never had sufficient time to dig/explore. The place is HUGE!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I must say that I am currently very envious of your ability to peruse an antique mall. I'm in Pennsylvania and everything here is closed except the big box stores
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

They had just re-opened on May 12.....normal hours. Their Cafe is still closed. You do have to wear a mask, and social distance....

What a cool place (from the pictures). We have some Antique Centers here in CT but none with tools like that. Prices are all over the place too! I once saw an old, rusty post-WWII Stanley No. 5 with a price tag of $125! I asked the owner how she figured out her prices, she said she checked Ebay for similar items that sold. At the same store I bought a new old stock James Swan 1-3/4 chisel for $15.00!

Go figure.

I find my best bargains at Yard Sales (we call them tag sales here in CT) and estate sales. This year though, due to the C-19, nobody is really having them. Hopefully soon!

DC

Blog Entries
    There is a similar place in Salamaca, NY called the Salamaca Antique Mall that is 30,000 square feet with 1,000 dealers. You can't walk through this place in under 3-4 hours. I noticed the same phenomenon with regard to tools in glass cases. There seemed to be an extra digit in every price tag.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I envy you guys up north in this respect. If you find a tool in an antique mall in Florida it’s probably a rusted out or dried and split and $100....

Have cleaned up most of the tools I brought back home. Need to sharpen the Fulton Special, and the iron for the No. 4.......Buck Rogers drill was cleaned and oiled up
    Buck Rogers #1950 Brace.JPG
    Model No. 1950....because that was when it came out. 10" sweep

The push drill is from the Millers Falls V-Line of tools, and is a No. 170....

IF it ever stops raining around this neck of the woods for a weekend....yard sales might begin, again.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I must say that I am currently very envious of your ability to peruse an antique mall. I'm in Pennsylvania and everything here is closed except the big box stores
    Brian, that's because you're in northEAST PA, not northwest. Your county will go yellow soon. Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

Bob

I've been to that store. Lots of wishful thinking on the part of many sellers. There was a booth last time I was there that had great deals on draw knives. There were several in like new condition in the $20-$30 range. I was nearly tempted to pick up a spare, but I'd already found a nice one at a prior stop.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

That's my neck of the woods. I rarely saw the place open when I was passing through on my way to Columbus. For those who are considering a trek in that direction note that the spectacular Air Force Museum is just minutes west of there at Wright Patterson AFB.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7