Thread: Yay! Rain

Yay! Rain

Some of us have had our fill of rain lately, especially our friends in mid Michigan. We're expected to get some today and the farmers in my neck of the woods will welcome it. I'll look for the silver lining and say that instead of yard work I get to spend some time in the shop working on my latest project.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Some of us have had our fill of rain lately, especially our friends in mid Michigan. We're expected to get some today and the farmers in my neck of the woods will welcome it. I'll look for the silver lining and say that instead of yard work I get to spend some time in the shop working on my latest project.
    We've had good rain this spring here in East TN. Well, sometimes more than good! Earlier last week I measured 5" of water in a horse feed bowl after one day of downpours. Even days later the ground is so wet my feet sunk 2-3" into the tilled soil in the garden. And it's time get the tractor out and regrade my gravel driveway now!

JKJ

My part of Canada is called “West Coast Temperate Rain Forest”. March was clear and dry. May is reverting to form.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

The Vancouver area is beautiful. I especially like the island.

As often is the case, Mother Nature changes plans on a whim. What was to be a warm overcast day with periods of rain is now a mostly sunny day with highs in the upper 80's. We had an inch of rain last night so it should be like a steam bath after lunchtime. This is a great time to have a cool, dry, basement shop.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    My part of Canada is called “West Coast Temperate Rain Forest”. March was clear and dry. May is reverting to form.
    My part of Washington is just south of the “West Coast Temperate Rain Forest”. The Portland weather reports have been showing maps of the area showing the varying degrees of how dry it is. This despite having rain almost every day.

While living in California we had some serious drought cycles. It is strange to have pouring rain while the news programs are talking drought.

Often when it is time to walk up to the mailbox a consultation will be done with the Weather Underground 'Wundermap' to see if there is a hole in the downpour > https://www.wunderground.com/wunderm...14&lon=-122.94 < The latitude and longitude are set for the weather station nearest to my residence.

The weather forecasts were a bit difficult for me when first moving here. It seems if there is going to be a little less than a tenth of an inch of rain the forecast doesn't call it rain, it is "mostly cloudy."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It rained so much here last weekend that I was thinking about starting construction on an ark. It rained part of the day a week ago Saturday, but it rained pretty much all day last Sunday. Forecast for last Sunday was 2" to 3", but I never heard how much we really got. We actually had a very dry and relatively warm March and April. It was hard to enjoy the weather due to all the news coming out by the hour on COVID-19 back then.

So far this year, until two weeks ago, it rained about every third day. Two weeks ago, we went for eight days without rain. During that time, I was able to tear down and replace the shed (10 X 30) across the back of my shop. Last Monday, got the Weather Watch over whole roof, finishing around 2:00 PM. Rain started around 3:00 PM, and lasted till Friday morning. Both yesterday and today, we had afternoon thunderstorms. Today's dumped over an inch in less than 30 minutes. Add that to the 3 1/2 inches from earlier in the week, plus the half inch from yesterday, and we have had 5" of rain in a week. The only to get in my garden is by helicopter, or tie a rope around your waist so someone can pull you out.

We actually got some rain in May! That is late in the season for us. Not much rain this season. Snow back was very light this year, only about 37% of normal. Expecting to get more rain by November. Supposed to be 100-107 all this week.
    Bill