Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you go back to your place of employment?

For Norton owners, past or present, I bought a new Norton 750 in 1969. I quit riding on the road after seeing too many of my buddies roll across the hood of some old lady's car, not too long after then.

Ron, mine’s a 2009 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic which I got nearly nwew. My buddy rides a 2019 BMW R100R
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

My rides--
    gw1.JPG
    '84 Aspencade, bone stock-

76sporty.jpgbelt.jpg
    '76 Sporty, chopped & stretched 4", SS stroker kit, 24k gold leafed, 24k gold plated shock bolt covers, belt primary, very wrong cams- it's like a big bicycle

--Haven't driven either of them in about 6 years... only because I work too dam much. Maybe I'll find time this summer to drag 'em out...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Amazing, this thread was about returning to work place, and now it's a motorcycle thread. Despite being retired, I go back to my work place every day. That's because I was self employed most of my life. Full time for the last 23 years. Even when working for others, I still had my business. This year will be the first time in over 40 years, I won't have to fill out a schedule "C" (self employment) when doing taxes. Only had to do one for 2019 taxes because of one job, which was for less than $500.

Coming to office has been made optional till October in my company. And I am enjoying the time saved from commute.

Eventually, I think I will start doing 2 days a week from office and 3 days WFH.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Sounds familiar
    I'm 2 months from 66 years old, and in all that time only 2 years of my life were NOT spent almost daily with family: the 2nd half of 1972 (year I graduated HS) and first half of 1974, which is when I started coming to work part time, here in this same house, for my parents. Part time money here was double my full-time money renting cars at the time. Dad was asked if he could engrave computer keycaps followed by all hell breaking loose. Since early '76 this at-home engraving business has been my only source of income. And this was a family affair back then, my 2 sisters, their husbands and a couple of cousins worked here at various times. We went thru a few rough times, the worst was '08-09'; my parents were in failing health, so the wife and I moved in permanently to care for them, add to that hardly any work coming in meant my sister/accountant of 11 years, had to go. My other sister's now ex-husband has been here daily for 39 years now. The wife and I are now 11 years into our 24/7 marriage. We're nearing our 29th anniversary, and we have never had an actual fight. Neither of us has ever 'needed our own space'. And all the years of daily interaction with the parents and other family members has only resulted in 1 actual argument, long in the past. In 46 years of working with family and 28+ years of marriage, there's never been any eggshells to avoid walking on. Biz is down a bit but most of the work not coming in is work I don't miss --I feel very fortunate that I have very little on my plate to worry about during this virus pandemonium-demic, aside from actually getting it. That, I AM worried about. As they say, I'm too old for this ____!

Wow Kev I have to say your one lucky guy. Oh I'm 70 ride a 2005 Yamaha Royalstar tour deluxe. I try to get out a couple times a week. Might try a cross country later this summer if things lighted up. I've done at least 10 cross countries and a lot more.and to keep on topic. I'm retired so I work from home making stuff to give away on my laser. But recently I found some items people want to buy so I put them on ebay wow only took 5 years to actually find a product to sell LOL
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 05-19-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Never stopped going to work. Unfortunately I cannot do my job remotely.
    My company did voluntary followed by forced layoffs, I made it through both, fortunately or unfortunately- however you want to look at it. It’s still a struggle every day as to whether I made the right call- not because of the virus, but we are going on week 5 of layoffs now- I just keep thinking about how cool that would’ve been to have all that extra time that I wouldn’t normally have to spend with my kids.

Its so scary out there, I don't wanna.

Headed to nyc tomorrow, probably going to die according to everyone getting paid fat to sit on their couches..

Glad restrants opening up. Time to eat out... work in heating plant so been working through this and with governer of my state getting sent to the corner life getting back to norma as busnesses get to open up.

Well my main job was sent to India 2 years ago, so after some filler work till my last birthday I retired. I don't miss the drive, though I do miss some of the people I used to work with. In fact we were getting a lunch set up to see everyone when this pandemic happened, so it didn't. Now I fill my time with working in the shop, the occasional contract job and working on the house.

I've worked substantially out of a home office for 20+ years, but due to travel or part time on-campus requirements, the last three months is the first time I've actually been 100% at home for week after week. I'm never going back to the office grind, or business travel. If my employer requires it (unlikely - they have found the increased productivity and reduced space demands rather appealing) I'll simply retire a bit early. I'm on furlough at the moment, and it's all I can do to not simply turn that into immediate retirement.

I never got a break from work. I'm working 12 hour days, 6 days a week. Prior to that we were working a rotating 12 hour shift, 24/6, to minimize the amount of folks onsite at any given time. ( I'm becoming "that neighbor.)
    I don't know what it's going to look like after we get off these long hours, but it should be interesting.
    I am not complaining here, so don't get me wrong. I have been very blessed in this life to have a very good, secure, job, and good health.
    I'll do what I can to keep the lights on in your house and shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I've worked substantially out of a home office for 20+ years, but due to travel or part time on-campus requirements, the last three months is the first time I've actually been 100% at home for week after week. I'm never going back to the office grind, or business travel. If my employer requires it (unlikely - they have found the increased productivity and reduced space demands rather appealing) I'll simply retire a bit early. I'm on furlough at the moment, and it's all I can do to not simply turn that into immediate retirement.

The company I work for is also seeing increased productivity with us working from home...Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I'll do what I can to keep the lights on in your house and shop.
    And thank you and your fellow workers for doing so. We are asking a lot from both people who can't work due to restrictions on their businesses, and those essential workers who must work, despite risk and altered conditions. I at least appreciate and value the contributions the latter are making. One of our biggest efforts at the hospital has been to make it possible for nurses and doctors to perform their jobs safely, so we can get back to full productivity without endangering them and our patients. It's the right thing to do.

Never left. I'm in Healthcare Policing, so I've been at work every day. I'm in Management, so most of my days have been spent in management, making policy. I've been wearing a mask all day for the past 4 weeks or so. I have tomorrow off and I've scheduled a much needed week off in mid July. I'm very excited about the time off, because I am mentally and physically exhausted. I have just under 7 years to retirement eligibility. (Lord willing I make it.)