Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Byrd head for shaper

Yes, that's why I included a photo of it with my rebate cutter.

With a guide ring the same diameter as the cutter you can pattern copy to make the shape, then put a smaller guide ring and rebate the profile...........Rod.

need to identify what that machine really is, my dealer got back saying 8,000 RPM so questioned him against the manual or measure out your two pulley sizes. I know you used an RPM meter just wondered if it could be wrong. THey check my temp for Covid each day I see my mom and their infra red gauges is more accurate than miine. Old style heads for solid we matched the bearing then could take off any amount more. YOu needed .015 more off or .030 you just turned a screw. Not tooling for everyone but could do stuff new stuff cant.

dealer got back to me that said it was 8,000 and now its maybe im right and its 6,000. He has no printed material left its just too far i the past. Id say measure pulley size, you have your meter and its either correct or not as well. The drive shaft on the spindle is contained and I cant see someone altering that easily but its possible. Motor drum can be measured. I can check what this one has as well

I'm using a Mitutoyo digital rotation meter. It's older and I have no idea if it's still in calibration but it should be pretty close. I don't know if they even make it anymore. I'll measure the drum and try to measure the pulley this weekend. I rarely use it so it's in the back corner of the shop. I got it for $100 so I couldn't pass it up (I'm as bad as the wife is with shoes when it comes to tools). I'll dig it out and check the spindle speed once again.

HI Alex

I have mititoyou stuff and its excellent my caliper has been beat to snot for likely 40 years. I sent them a photo and told them they make outstanding stuff, battle scars and all. knocked off dropped left on on and more. Works perfectly and paid for itself five times over. Not the way to treat a precision tool but it lives in my tool belt and thats doomed from the start. Batteres last longer in their caliper than any others ive had as well, that comes in handy when it gets turned on in my belt and I find days later that its been on, then it works for two more years or more before needing the next battery.

I dont have an RPM thing when I can ill measure the pulley here on this one.

here is an ad for Mititotyou quality, I dont own the company. .0005 sectioned off as taught by a top tool and die maker to make it easier for me to get it instantly

afd.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-21-2020 at 4:00 PM.

I have two of their 6" digital calipers, one with a scar and the other with the wrong battery door. I also have a HF one that's 12". The HF just feels like there's sand in it when you slide it. Came that way new. This is a picture of the same model tachometer I have. The picture doesn't show it but there's attachments that go on the top. You just push it against the spinning shaft and it measures the speed. It's good for up to 30,000 rpm. They aren't cheap (like all of their stuff) but they do come in handy.