Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Byrd head for shaper

It's a 2800B. It didn't say on it so I measured the rpm of the spindle. It was a little over 7800 rpm.

Thanks Paul. Since I can't change the speed the only thing I can change is the diameter of the cutter. It looks like 4" running around 7,000 to 8,000 should be about right.

I think my dealer told me 7000 then below is the printed material I found stating 6,000 RPM

sgrr.JPG

Blog Entries
    Certainly a interesting design, and quite a bit heavier than I would have guessed for a 3hp 3/4" machine.
    a4cd05bc-45a6-407e-8280-5a69a7548819_fullsize.jpg
    4f9091d5-bcc7-4fd7-aa26-1368581c76ee_fullsize.jpg

its 304 lb I have friends that weigh that much. I like the build better a bit over General stuff as it doesnt have the usually flapping sheet steel base.

1.JPG

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    its 304 lb I have friends that weigh that much. I like the build better a bit over General stuff as it doesnt have the usually flapping sheet steel base.

1.JPG
    Well that is considerably lighter than the 750lbs I saw listed

The basic design hasn't changed but the specs for it seam to have. The spindle stayed 3/4" but it's almost 7" long so it can hold a cutter up to 5 1/2" tall. It was offered without a motor and I think just before being bought out a 3hp motor. But I have seen them with 2hp motors. So it's very hard to tell exactly if the motor on it came with the shaper. As I said in my OP post the motor on mine is massive. If you just glanced at it you would assume at least 5hp or more likely 7.5hp. I know size isn't directly related to HP but I have yet to have anyone who's looked at it say "wow". I'm guessing it was designed to be used in an industrial environment.

poitras 2800.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    It's a 2800B. It didn't say on it so I measured the rpm of the spindle. It was a little over 7800 rpm.

Thanks Paul. Since I can't change the speed the only thing I can change is the diameter of the cutter. It looks like 4" running around 7,000 to 8,000 should be about right.
    Hi Alex, for a 4" (100mm) cutter, 7,000 RPM is only 37 metres/second which is a bit low. I would check the recommended minimum cutter speed with the manufacturer, and if you can't find any info, use 40 metres per second.

The other possibility is if the shaper is rated for it, use a 125mm rebate cutter which will be fine at 7,000 RPM..............Regards, Rod.

not the stock motor and largest size at the time was 2HP. I checked with a dealer on the RPM and havent heard back. There was not option for two different spindles I as aware or or told about at the the time but there was optional stuff I see in printed material. Its in another language and I missed that french class.

optional equip.JPG

Like Warren says, I think they shipped regularly without a motor (it refers to recommended motor sizes) so whatever is on there now, isn't necessarily correlated to what should be on there.....the owners could put 25hp on there if it would fit the mounts and not tip it over. It's a bit of an awkward RPM in that it's at the upper range for some larger blocks that might do a great job, but not fast enough for smaller blocks that would be easier on the bearings. Seeing as you're actually down in the high 7000s range, a 100mm diameter rebate block ought to work well. Many 125mm diameter rebate blocks are rated for 8000 rpm, but unless they're aluminum they'll be a bit much weight for that machine. I use a 100mm, shear cut rebate block at 7500 RPM all the time with excellent results.

It's a decent little machine, and might be worth putting a little money into. You could replace the motor with a 3ph one and add on a vfd for infinite rpm control, motor braking etc and save that nice 3hp, 1ph motor for something else.

like most of the machines i got at the time they came with two motor options with the lower one being not enough and same at times with the larger one. The one I have has the motor painted the same as the machine as it came on the machine. Ive never calculated a feed rate, 2 Hp and a braised raised panel is well under powered. Measure the top of the spindle down to whatever block as at the bottom and see what you get. Dont member any option of a longer spindle or even think it would be safe. What diameter is the drum on the motor? I can check that against the one here. No one changed stuff on it.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-20-2020 at 9:46 AM.

I can check the diameter of the drum but I have to believe that it's the original. Unless they made different sizes I would suspect they are all the same diameter. The pulley could be changed but where it sits there's not much room to go much larger to slow it down. But a smaller one would work to speed it up a little.

Can you get a rub collar for a rebate cutter? That's why I ended up looking at the Byrd cutters. They come in several different diameters to try to best work with the shaper's fixed speed and a bearing/ rub collar.

Alex I have one of these shapers ,currently sitting in a barn. Mine is also a Poitras but I think older than the one you have. The guy I bought mine from Had a smaller flat pulley machined and put a five horsepower motor on it. I have never used this machine,I need to bring it to my shop and clean it up and try it out. I remember looking at the spindle in mine and it was 1 1/4'' coming up through the bearings then turned down to the 3/4" diameter.

I have an Amana rub collar that you can buy different diameter outside rings for. They are aluminum and you just press the bearing in to the size you need. I have one that is 100mm and am pretty sure that you can get other diameters from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post

Can you get a rub collar for a rebate cutter? That's why I ended up looking at the Byrd cutters. They come in several different diameters to try to best work with the shaper's fixed speed and a bearing/ rub collar.
    Absolutely, a lot of manufacturers make bearings to exactly match their rebate blocks and though an exact match isn't strictly required, it's convenient a lot of times.