Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End table and Ideation on the fly

Both tables are quite attractive. The first is more free-form to my eye and the second more elegant and restrained. The floating top on 2nd is really nice. I wonder if the process for the 2nd was less 'experimental' than the 1st, the latter incorporating straight lines vs. curved and carved nature. Did you 'see' the final result more completely in your mind's eye in the earlier stages of the 2nd?

Masterful work. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Both tables are quite attractive. The first is more free-form to my eye and the second more elegant and restrained. The floating top on 2nd is really nice. I wonder if the process for the 2nd was less 'experimental' than the 1st, the latter incorporating straight lines vs. curved and carved nature. Did you 'see' the final result more completely in your mind's eye in the earlier stages of the 2nd?

Masterful work. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks all for the compliments!

David, in answer to your question, you're absolutely right. The second table was intentional, drawn on paper and not done on the fly like the first.
    I saw another table on a YouTube video from a Korean furniture maker named Kobeomsuk that inspired #2 and then to faintly relate to the first one I thickened it up and added the diagonal scoring lines. I'm into the idea of furniture groupings where the pieces can have individual identities but share some common themes. Thanks for looking,

Blog Entries
    Great journal on your process Edwin. Thanks for that. It was fun to see that cool little table evolve over time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What a great thread. Love the tables and all the information shared. Nicely done Edwin.

Thanks for sharing. Well done!