Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: New "Front Door", as it were...

This project is now complete...the glass arrived earlier than expected so I got it installed yesterday, trimmed things out, got it primed and then one coat of the ProClassic. Today, the second and final coat of the ProClassic when on as well as another coat of clear on the threshold. The biggest noticeable thing at this point is the "yuge" drop in road nose but I'm sure that there will be heating/cooling benefits, too, since the original door leaked like a sieve...

FauxDoorComposite.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That design would never have occurred to me; but it really works with the stone wall. It's a diamond surrounded by
    smaller stones.

Looks great Jim! Nice work.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    That design would never have occurred to me; but it really works with the stone wall. It's a diamond surrounded by
    smaller stones.
    Thanks. We're blessed to live in an area with so many stone homes like this. Part of that is because the small mountain right behind us is one of only two (I believe) exposed limestone geological features in the state (I could be wrong about that) and there's an abundance of limestone which is ideal for these structures. "Back in the day" many, if not most, of these structures would have been plastered over to hide the stones. This one was like that based on physical evidence, but it was stripped of the plaster like so many, likely because of degradation from weather, repointed and the stone left exposed. The exposed stone look is what's coveted in the real estate market.

I've been resistant to replacing the four double hung windows on the first floor because they are old with wavy glass single lights, etc., but I'm starting to have second thoughts on that, at least in the front of the building. They cannot be opened, although that's not really an issue for us. I do have clear panels on the inside for additional weather protection and to cut or eliminate air infiltration. The one on the left of this door is in seriously poor condition, however. I'm going to try to reglaze it in place, but I'm not confident that will be enough. The dilemma is whether to just replace it now or leave it for the next owner to tackle. It's likely we'll downsize in the next few years and more pressing is the roof on my shop building that needs replaced to the tune of ten grand.
    --

That sure looks good Jim. Amazing how much those little vertical trim strips added to the overall appearance.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That sure looks good Jim. Amazing how much those little vertical trim strips added to the overall appearance.

John
    Yea, that's really true. Shadow lines really have a lot of value. I did a slight setback on the trim to provide a nice 1/8" x 1/8" shadow line around the window opening, too. It's amazing how something so subtle makes a huge difference. This is the kind of thing where "fine woodworking" and "architecture/home-improvement" come together. Oh, and those trim strips are not particularly perfect which is fine for a 250 year old structure. LOL
    --